Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Hurry! and when you get done there head south.
Today's paper said that there are 600,000 roofs in need of repair or replacement in Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin and Palm Beach counties. A local roofer was quoted as being booked out 2 yrs. and still recieving over 300 phone calls a day.
Bring all of your paperwork and if you are from out of state, you will have to take a short class and exam to get you up to speed on our codes. You will be issued a temp. license good for 3 mos.
If you get to Martin Co. (Stuart on the map) give me a call 772 485 8107. I know where the best wings and coldest beer are found. Maybe you can do my roof too!

G

·
Florida Roofs

Sorry for the unregistered, I did register a while ago, misplaced my information.

On the replacement roof issue ( I live in Central Florida, Orlando ), I have received 2 quotes to replace my roof ( I do HVAC, not roofing) and will do so as soon as I can settle with the insurance co.

What I have been told recently (by roofers), the issue with the delayed roof replacement is the lack of Florida ( wind rating ) shingles, not availability of personnell to do the work.

This may cause a problem for contractors who want to come into the state and help us out. If the local contractors cannot work all they want to because of lack of material, this could leave crews from out of state without work as well.

If anyone knows how to get material, I would be interested in knowing where so I can pass this info on to my roofer so I can replace my roof.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Grumpy said:
He He He He :) I think we all know my opinion on this one.
I'm new here Grumpy. Clue me in?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I see roofing material everywhere I look. Metal is a little hard to come by but the whole back of HD is pallets of shingles and felt.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
He He He He I think we all know my opinion on this one.

Storm chasing can be like abortion. We may not like it, but if there is no alternative, people will attempt it themselves.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Right now most of them are picking off the cherry jobs, people who have enough money to pay extra just to have a good looking roof. Depending on your income level, they'll get around to you. If you're on the lower end of the totem pole, you can expect to keep replacing those tarps for about 3 yrs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a friend who has a roofing business in NC and has held a Florida Roof Contractor's license for about 10 years. He went to Pensacola for 1 job, a church. He has been approached so much about other work while there he has rented a house and plans to stay there for several months. I think he is getting his supplies delivered from somewhere in Louisiana.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts