Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 7x12 12k dump trailer. Hawke brand by dun rite? 4' sides. General remodeling debris. Any consensus on the brand? Thinking about maybe a 14' instead.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I am in the market as well but have not done serious research.

Regarding length. Having enough length to get common 12' construction material such as drywall, siding, facia, etc would be a must. You may need to bump up to 14'. Not sure.

I was looking at deck over models. This allows the sides to fold down. Would be handy if loading anything from the side on a pallet, or loading something using a lift of any kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ycd3Ha5P3G4#t=131

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I would get a 14' instead of 12'. Just more room for really not much more money and 2' more really doesn't make it harder to park or manuver. The side height is pretty standard, bobcat or person can load very easy even with wood 2 x 12 on top of rail to help protect it and give you just a bit more room. If you haul heavy stuff, concrete/dirt, DO NOT overload, trust me, shoveling off your overage sucks azz!

I like the ramps that are attached to the outisde and not underneath. Easier for me to get in and out when loading a skid steer or excavator. The deck over trailers make it pretty high for the equipment to load and can be dangerous if not careful. I have had many pallets loaded in mine all from the back by a good forklift operator. At the yard I get all of my concrete block, they have an extension for the forks and can get 3 full pallets of block in my trailer. Granted at scene the pallets are hand unloaded but usually I can get it real close to where they are needed so handeling is at a minimum.

Deck overs usually have shorter sides and make it haul less debris, plus high load height make it not good for me. You can get extended metal sides to attach to some trailers for hauling mostly garbage and on big jobs we use ours like a dumpster and love it. I do not haul much material to a site other than dirt, gravel and from time to time rebar, 20' hanging a bit over the front.

Get one, you will never regret it. You will be shocked what you find to use it for. Get a solar charger for the battery, trust me on that, getting to a dump site and then the battery dead is ridiculous. I have a super long set of jumper cables I made that I carry just in case, cause taking the truck battery out and using that just slows you down with the purpose of the trailer to be speeding things up.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
10 cu yard at least in size, wheel chokes, tongue lock, pad for tongue jack, we have lock box on ours for the keys, that way a set are with the trailer all the time. and the number is ***x he, he,

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I would get a 14' instead of 12'. Just more room for really not much more money and 2' more really doesn't make it harder to park or manuver. The side height is pretty standard, bobcat or person can load very easy even with wood 2 x 12 on top of rail to help protect it and give you just a bit more room. If you haul heavy stuff, concrete/dirt, DO NOT overload, trust me, shoveling off your overage sucks azz!

I like the ramps that are attached to the outisde and not underneath. Easier for me to get in and out when loading a skid steer or excavator. The deck over trailers make it pretty high for the equipment to load and can be dangerous if not careful. I have had many pallets loaded in mine all from the back by a good forklift operator. At the yard I get all of my concrete block, they have an extension for the forks and can get 3 full pallets of block in my trailer. Granted at scene the pallets are hand unloaded but usually I can get it real close to where they are needed so handeling is at a minimum.

Deck overs usually have shorter sides and make it haul less debris, plus high load height make it not good for me. You can get extended metal sides to attach to some trailers for hauling mostly garbage and on big jobs we use ours like a dumpster and love it. I do not haul much material to a site other than dirt, gravel and from time to time rebar, 20' hanging a bit over the front.

Get one, you will never regret it. You will be shocked what you find to use it for. Get a solar charger for the battery, trust me on that, getting to a dump site and then the battery dead is ridiculous. I have a super long set of jumper cables I made that I carry just in case, cause taking the truck battery out and using that just slows you down with the purpose of the trailer to be speeding things up.
Thanks for the informative post. I looked into it a little bit today. It does seem like a deck over might not be as handy as I originally though. And definitely to high off the ground to be practical for loading/unloading equipment very much. Its not like separate trailer for a loader/attachments is that big of a deal. :thumbup:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I bought a used Hawke 12K in 06 and still use it often. We changed it from a bumper pull to a gooseneck, and extented the sides.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Thanks for the informative post. I looked into it a little bit today. It does seem like a deck over might not be as handy as I originally though. And definitely to high off the ground to be practical for loading/unloading equipment very much. Its not like separate trailer for a loader/attachments is that big of a deal. :thumbup:
Your welcome, look at Kaufman trailers, great deal because they cut out the middle man and they make a good trailer. PJ trailers are good along with Tex trailers. I have an H&H, not bad but tends to be a middle of the road trailer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm leaning towards a Load Trail 7x14. Nicely equipped, even a roadside warranty. I just need to decide on Wall height, 2,3 & 4 available, too many options.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking build up, probably 2' too, and wood or the steel mesh and angled steel frame. I need versatility too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I though I wanted a deck over, then I found a great deal on a low one and now that I have it would have hated the deck over. It would have been too damn high in the air.
I have a 6x12 w/ 2' side and another 2' wood sides on top. Even though I wish it was bigger at times, it's really the perfect size for my needs. Any big loads of material I have delivered and if I have that much demo at one time it's more efficient to get a 30-40 yd can.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm looking in a new direction. My main towing vehicle would be a 1 ton van, not excited about taking it through the rough dump. pj trailers has a mid size one 78" x 12" with a 6900 lb capacity. The best part is it's 3000lbs empty. It would be towable on another truck or two. I don't do any roofs or heavy lifting, so I might go that way. No low version though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great thread.
Our current setup is a chevy kodiak 70 dump truck with a 9' bed and high sides.

We're considering selling it and replacing it with a large dump trailer because of DOT compliance crap and misc. overhead.

The main concern we have is the dump angle. We've heard some people complain that the big trailers don't dump very well.

Anyone here have similar complaints or noticed anything like that?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have a 04 and 09 PJ 14ft dump trailers. Both were bought new with factory made steel side wall extensions bringing the capacity to just shy of 14 yards. The 04 was $6K and the 09 was $7.5K. Both trailers have been great and other than brakes and tires they've been good units. The only major issues with the 04 was while dumping a 50sq roof load the rear door system ripped off. The original design for the swinging rock spreader was a lip on the bottom in the back. Quite often shingles and debris would catch on it, real bad design. The large load ripped the whole back door system off at which time my mechanic modified it like the 09. The other issue was totally my fault as the trailer had two small roofs in it and backed into an alley for roof load #3 and pulled it out the other direction. The rear passenger side axle broke. $425 later and a 6 hour round trip (only place in state that had one) plus a couple hours to replace was on the road again.

The 09 has single piece side extension and they are quite heavy. The 04 has 3 separate pieces per side which I like. The 09 which I think is the current PJ set up is a little wider than the 04 or older style PJ.

It would be safe to say you see PJ's at the dump the most followed by Load Trail and then all the others. For the money PJ is a great trailer. Some dump trailers use a single scissors lift while some use a dual ram lift. Have never had an issue dumping large loads with the 09 but real heavy (50sq+) loads have not always been able to dump with the 04. Hundreds of uses on both trailers and never touched the hydraulic system.

Back when the shingle recycling program was in full swing paid $10 a ton for clean shingle debris. Now they are going in the lined area and it's $25 a ton. Still a lot cheaper than renting dumpsters plus have a place to haul boards, tarps, wheel barrow etc. Have used the trailer to haul several loads of gravel and black dirt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts