Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a pre bid walk thru this morning. 79000 sq ft of retail, office and residential. Early plans are just about 85 doors,some baseboard and about 12 windows to trim.
The building is about 100 yrs old,with great looking heavy timber framing. The only drawbacks will be parking in downtown Denver and humping all the tools and material up 6 flights of stairs.
I'll be going cross eyed over the prints for the next few days getting the bid ready.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Good luck! Hope you get the work.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
If it's like downtown Chicago, add some big bucks to your bid to accomodate parking fees, and the ungodly waste of time needed to get the service elevator.
Down there, if you forget a screwdriver it will cost you at least an hour.

Sounds like you have a direct route in-but the details can make for a real pain in the butt.

I prefer it in the suburbs where you can park right in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer the residential burb work myself. Parking in the city, hollow metal doors and hard hats = Excedrin for breakfast

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Totally agree with what RS said. I did a tile job in a hi rise in Chicago. While I made my money, I won't do one again. TOO many logistics issues. If you did it all the time and had a good routine down, you might be able to consistantly make $$$

Good luck with your project :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in tune with everyone's advice. I am going to add in an extra 3 wks of parking fees, just in case. I'll be down there with my BFH before drywall adjusting door openings. I already have a baker's scaffold that I bring every job. I just need my rollerblades to get around the building.
Thanks for the advice

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I hope you get it.

Consider the mini-scaffold based cart or other work carts for tooling around on a commercial job like that.

I just got a call yesterday to do handrails on 8 stories of commercial stair cases. Just oak rail on brackets, no balusters.

All the best,

Bass

We just finished 200' of rail in a corrugated plant. Like 3/4 of the brackets were into 100 year old brick. Between that, walking to my truck what felt like a mile anytime i needed something and all the damn ppl that just have to use the set of stairs i was on i'm really glad the week ends tomorrow. A landing and a set of stairs to a second floor office tomorrow and im outta there til some office work this winter. If i had to work in a factory i think id go insane from the constant noise and being confined, it feels like prison.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hire a young gofer for a few weeks. Have everything set up for you when you get there, and taken back down at the end of the day. He can go get lunch and screwdrivers, hold some trim pieces, plug in batteries, put money in the parking meter. I always have at least one "butler" on jobs where there is lot of slugging and lugging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts