Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Got a smoking deal on this too. I wanted something smaller if I was doing a 1 batch mix. The auto mixer isn't heavy but I typically only mix 1 bucket of thinset for a backsplash and the best is too big.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,965 Posts
Dang, I need some stuff........... take me shopping :laughing:
Me too Dawg!! My 1/2" drill motor got ripped a while back, had it over 20 years. A lot of memorys there:mad: It was a porta cable, don't know what I'll buy next:whistling I want a new toy:jester:

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had (have) a Craftsman 6A hammer drill that has been my mixer as well as a hammer drill for about 7 years. I've fixed the secondary handle on it too many times and it's now a goner. I needed a replacement mixer and splurged on the auto one. I'll still need a hand held so I got this one.

Of course, I still need a hammer drill replacement....:whistling:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I'm still having good luck with my triple reduction drill from my shore home framing days. It'll run a 3/4" ship auger through 12" diameter PT poles all day long. It's mostly a Redi-Mix drill lately. It will do some damage if it binds up.:laughing:

Attachments

Reactions: Tech Dawg

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,965 Posts
That's a winner Lone!:thumbsup: I think it was made by Black N Decker industrial model

·
Super Moderator
11,326 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
That's a winner Lone!:thumbsup: I think it was made by Black N Decker industrial model
Well, it bears the Craftsman name plate, but I believe you are on the money. A friend of mine had the B&D and it was identical in every possible way.

I bought that drill around 15 years ago and believe it will be a family heirloom.:laughing:

Reactions: Dirtywhiteboy

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

I love my Rubi. It even mixes sand with portland dry, before adding it to the water filled bucket.
I never seen it forced. Adjustable speed.
I keep a bucket of sand nearby and just drop and spin, it is all clean!
No twisting arms.
At $160, money spent wise.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the Rubis and I do like them. However, it all came down to budget. $99 was better spent than $150.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
I had a little different reasoning... I was very tempted to buy a Ruby but I felt a drill suited better since I'm not tiling on every single job. The Hitachi was $69 bux and at least gives some other uses or a back up to get me through a day, if I have a breakdown :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
11,326 Posts
I got the Dewalt for under $100 :thumbup:
That was a bargin for sure. :thumbup: I think I paid $169 for the same drill a couple of years ago.:shutup:

-Paul

·
He who's held accountable
248 Posts
Well, it bears the Craftsman name plate, but I believe you are on the money. A friend of mine had the B&D and it was identical in every possible way.

I bought that drill around 15 years ago and believe it will be a family heirloom.:laughing:
I've got an old 1/2" Makita that's heading in the same direction...takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking.

It too will toss you on yer *ss, if you bind it up...:laughing:

Cheers, Ron

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sir Mixalot said:
That was a bargin for sure. :thumbup: I think I paid $169 for the same drill a couple of years ago.:shutup:

-Paul
Even Amazon..my go-to tool store...was around $150. I scored! Even got a Dewalt soft case to carry it.

I'm all about the carrying case :laughing:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts