Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Professional Remodeler
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a good friend that bought a foreclosure house earlier this summer. The kitchen was started by the previous owner, they used some type of flatpack cabinets, but we need to find the manufacturer or distributor.

They look like those sold by Ikea but none of their salespeople recognize them, tried HD and Lowes and a couple others in the area, taking a longshot that someone here might be familiar with them or has seen them somewhere.

There is absolutley no identification on the cabinet anywhere, even took a couple off the walls to check the backs. I have attached a few pictures, there is more and bigger pictures here:

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/FalconContracting/RoseCabinets/

Obviously they had no clue what they were doing when they installed them , I am trying to find out who made or distrubuted them to buy a few more more to help her straighten out their mess. She's a single mom, first house, smaller budget so she can't afford all new cabinets. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
They look like some that I have seen at a discout house that specializes in Chinese goods. All plywood construction?:thumbsup:

·
Box Builder
6,315 Posts
They definitely look like cabinets that you buy unassembled. No idea about the brand/ manufacturer though. They didn't leave any papers or extra hardware/ fasteners in a drawer anywhere?

·
Professional Remodeler
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ikea? They come in white frames or matching veneer.
They look like something made by/for IKEA
First thing I though... Not theirs though

The Ikea looks VERY similar, but not the same. All Particle board construction that i can tell. Ikea base cabinets also have legs, these area all full panel ends. Thanks for the help so far....

You might get lucky if you take off a drawer front. Just an idea.
Thought of that too, we took a drawer front right to Ikea and it didn't match the sample they had Angus was talking about.

They didn't leave any papers or extra hardware/ fasteners in a drawer anywhere?
Not a darn thing.......

Nothing on the concealed hing cover?
Just some little logo that I can't quite make out. There is nothing stamped in the steel drawer slide/side either. It's like they went out of their way to make these unidentifiable....

·
The Remodeler
1,535 Posts
Funny how the ad at the bottom of this thread is for DirectBuy.. They sell cheap cabinets? Noooooooo... :laughing:

There's a lot of wholesalers here in NY selling these cheap Chinese pieces of junk.. Good luck trying to find a match. Any chance you could consolidate these in one area of the kitchen and finish the rest with a contrasting color?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You could always look at the price of re skinning with stainable or pre stained/colored veneer.

That way you could get a close match in style but make all the same.

Just my .02

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
I have identified cabinets by taking a door off and removing the hinge. Sometimes identification is located in the hinge hole.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Look at the top corners of the back panel.
If they are Ikea cabinets they will either have a hole on each side or a clip covering the mounting bracket. The white clip can be seen in angus' photo.

Edit: the draw sides do not look like Ikeas.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
A lot of furniture makers have went out of business lately and I could give you a list of American and Canadian ones that make junk like that. It dosen't have to be 'made in china' to be junk. Why do you think they went out of business?!;)

I saw a lot of stock that matches what you have there when I was in the Canac Kitchens auction a few months ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts