Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been building in a far north climate where we heat only, no a/c, and most all is done with radiant under- or in-floor.

Now moving to hot humid TX and will have a pro build new house. Wondering about whether one or more air handlers will be used.

See attached floor plan of single-story house, 2925 sf. Stock plans show HVAC unit plus W/H in garage. No inside-the-house closets were designated for HVAC. Ducting all in attic above 10/0 ceilings.

I'll have the design engineered by an Austin-based consultant, but before I go there, was looking for a little input here.

Can a single unit, sized appropriately, handle the whole thing? I show the length of a main-line supply trunk if just one unit is used. About 80 feet.

In the 900 sf garage, which will be used as a shop when vehicles are out of it, I want to do HVAC and will let local supply tell me whether to use a single mini-split, with one wall outlet, or a small conventional system, and do exposed spiral round ducting hung from the 10'6" ceiling. Your opinion?

Attachments

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Are you allowed to use the HVAC system for the house to also do the garage? I ask because in Canada we cannot do that due to carbon monoxide now having access to the house thru the duct work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I have decided on three systems, one to handle the far end, the second all the rest, and the third, maybe a minisplit, for the garage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How many people going to be living in the house ? How many rooms will be occupied on a normal / regular basis ?

More than one unit gives the possibility of turning one unit off , when the rooms served are unoccupied .

That , along with programmable tstats , present the possibility of respectable energy savings .

God bless
Wyr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts