Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Long runs of Azek

8K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  nEighter 
#1 ·
Anybody had any experience with long runs of Azek fascia? I have uninterrupted runs of up to 120'. The Azek web site says to leave 1/8" expansion for every 18' of trim, but doesnt really tell you how to do this. Does this mean I have to leave one expansion joint every 18', or can it be cumulative, such as 3/8 in 54'? And then what do you do with the gap, just caulk?

#3 ·
I've dabbled in Azek over the last few years. There is definitely going to be issues over 120'. I recommend the gapping on every board. Up to this point, I've glued every connection without too many issues, but on long runs, there is going to be substantial movement, especially if it's getting painted any color darker than white. My next job is going to be done with slip joints wherever possible and floating half laps on fascias and rakes. Here's a few pics of the latest project. The long fascia is 90' long, facing South. It was installed in summer heat, now it's been through a full cycle of seasons and some of the joints have failed.

Attachments

#6 ·
I would gap on every peice or every other piece.

I had a square house I did in azek facia. Glued all the joints the south run opened up. The other 3 sides look perfect. They are 64' runs wich isn't that long but we have huge temp changes here in IA.

Cole

#8 ·
I think anything over two full lengths will move substantially, especially on the southern exposure. North side will be much more tolerant to temperature differences.:thumbsup:

#10 ·
I like the half lap idea. It wouldn't take to long to route out a rabbit and you would have 2x glue surface and a insurance policy it the joint does separate.

Now about the jig....
Howsabout a beveled half lap?:laughing:

Attachments

#23 ·
If you looking for reasonably prices routers, try the refurb hitachi. I have a project this summer where having a few routers was going to save alot of changeover time, so I picked up a 2 M12VC's and an M12V2.

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Routers___c362.aspx

The compare very well to my existing Makita, Bosch, and Dewalt routers. I might even have more routers than norm does now.

PC690
Makita 3601B D Handle
Bosch 1.75 HP D Handle
Makita 3HP single speed plunge
Dewalt 3HP Variable SPeed Plunge
and the hitachi's

#26 ·
Great site, thanks. I was just trying to figure out where to look for a couple of new routers. I have a couple of porter cables in my shop, but hate to take them out to the site to get dropped in the mud etc. I have had good experiences with Hitachi, and the prices are always good.

#25 ·
I'd let them float. I know the gap is unsightly, but if you've ever seen a joint fail, they are downright ugly. Very jagged edges, opposed to a clean even margin. Of coarse, I'd have to break the run up into even lengths to make it look symetrical.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Tom Struble
#32 ·
It's a continuous metal sub fascia. Original design called for the Azek to attach directly to the metal, but now due to a cornice and soffit vent issue there will be a pressure treated sub fascia applied between the metal and the Azek, so we can nail anywhere along the length. I think this will be a better application as long as the PT doesnt twist too much. Will probably back off 6" from the joint on each side. Outside corners will be mitered and glued.

#33 ·
How will the Azek be attached to the PT? We have been using 16 gauge SS fasteners for about 5 years now with no issues, but I recall hearing that they are not recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.