Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds trite, but I've found it to be right on the money in this business.

I knew when I started out on my own, that this would be take a mindset adjustment. What I didn't realize is just how pervasive this feeling could be on a daily basis.

There's literally nobody else to turn to when tough decisions need to be made or things go wrong. In some respects, I prefer that. The buck stops here, etc...

But, I think a solid Lead Carpenter is sometimes needed if I want this business to thrive and be personally rewarding. Finding that guy has been a real challenge.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Even in this economic climate? I'm getting calls from highly qualified out of work people that I would LOVE to have working for me... their's just not enough going on for me to hire right now.

Reactions: knucklehead

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I hear you HomerJ.

I'm the nicest guy in the world and if you can believe it, there are a couple of people around here who think I'm an a-hole.

I know, I know, it's crazy. But it's lonely at the top.

But, I think a solid Lead Carpenter is sometimes needed if I want this business to thrive and be personally rewarding. Finding that guy has been a real challenge.
Lead carpenter is the only way to go in my opinion.

·
Banned
669 Posts
He meant on top of his game knucklebutt! not literally up a mountain like you! you wouldn't be on top if you climbed your roof!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was fortunate in stumbling into a friendship with a potential competitor with the same goals I had. Trust builds slowly but we have helped each other and built our respective businesses. We won't compete with each other, after 16 years no job pays enough $$$ to jeopardize our friendship. It has been very helpful to have someone trusted to have a couple beers & discuss the troubles of running a daycare, which most employees require.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
It may be a regional thing, but I would think a punch list carpenter would serve you better than a lead carpenter. A lead carpenter to me would imply that you have a crew doing work, and if you already have a crew, then you should also have a lead carpenter and shouldn't have problems with anything that comes up.

A punch list guy would have his own tools, should be mid 30s to mid 50s and reliable, have a decent work truck, and able to do the odd jobs that come up along with being flexible and personable to work with your clients. He would be looking for steady, long term work, not hard core production, maybe some bennies, something mellow. You call, he does.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
It may be a regional thing, but I would think a punch list carpenter would serve you better than a lead carpenter. A lead carpenter to me would imply that you have a crew doing work, and if you already have a crew, then you should also have a lead carpenter and shouldn't have problems with anything that comes up.

A punch list guy would have his own tools, should be mid 30s to mid 50s and reliable, have a decent work truck, and able to do the odd jobs that come up along with being flexible and personable to work with your clients. He would be looking for steady, long term work, not hard core production, maybe some bennies, something mellow. You call, he does.
Good point.

You have to go through step 1 before step 2.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can definitely see the using a punchlist guy, but I need more than that.

I've got a small crew and some subs that I use regularly, but I don't consider any of them much more than hired help. Some guys are great with customers, others are solid craftsmen. Some are a little on the prima donna side, others are inconsistent but hard working and good-natured.

What I need is the guy who's in tune with me and the direction of the biz. Someone who can run the daily operation if/when needed. He needs to be 100% reliable. I thought one of my guys was gonna be able to step into that role, but it's not panning out. He simply lacks the professional maturity.

My wife is due in a month. Right now there's nobody I can rely on to run things so that I can take a week or two off when the little guy is born. That's one of the things that's hitting home today.

Beyond that, I need a consiglierie type of guy. A running mate, a sidekick, someone I can bounce ideas off. Of course, it would be nice if he also contributed to the business in some meaningful way.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts

I've got a small crew and some subs that I use regularly, but I don't consider any of them much more than hired help. Some guys are great with customers, others are solid craftsmen. Some are a little on the prima donna side, others are inconsistent but hard working and good-natured.

What I need is the guy who's in tune with me and the direction of the biz. Someone who can run the daily operation if/when needed. He needs to be 100% reliable. I thought one of my guys was gonna be able to step into that role, but it's not panning out. He simply lacks the professional maturity.

My wife is due in a month. Right now there's nobody I can rely on to run things so that I can take a week or two off when the little guy is born. That's one of the things that's hitting home today.

Beyond that, I need a consiglierie type of guy. A running mate, a sidekick, someone I can bounce ideas off. Of course, it would be nice if he also contributed to the business in some meaningful way.
You got a spare 150K a year and a f350 09 laying around my buddy, my pal:laughing:

·
Registered
440 Posts
You got a spare 150K a year and a f350 09 laying around my buddy, my pal:laughing:
Oohh a bidding war. :whistling

I will sell you my services for $75K a year and a VW Rabbit. :thumbsup: That's a good deal Homer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Half price right outta the gate? You little ho!
So do I get the job? :laughing:

Gotta warn you I don't know how to bid remodeling. I figure I'll take the square footage, multiply by $100 to get the labor. Then add in materials with a 40% mark up. Than multiply the whole thing by 5 to get the final price. Think we'll make money? :blink:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts

How old are your guys? What are their ages?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts