Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
^^^ I agree with JMB. ^^^ . You look at his logo and you know IMMEDIATELY what he does.

With yours, unless I read the fine print, I have no clue what you do. All I see is an "H" and some other stuff. My first impression, like JBM, was the second letter was an "O.". So, I immediately thought you were into HO trains or something.

As far as the last line after the large letters, I have no idea WHAT that is supposed to be or mean.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
My first thought was HO like everyone else so far, then the artist in me saw the two H's. Most viewers will never pick that up. Maybe the designer was trying to go for the FedEx idea, but it's a fail. Sounds harsh, but the bright side is it's better to find that out now.

Back to the drawing board sounds cliché but that's what's needed.

On the plus side, the designer did use "simple" design. That's the right idea, too many logos aren't logos at all and too complex, but this needs better execution.

Footnote: Not everyone will get my FedEx reference because most people are unaware of the forward pointing arrow reversed out inside the Ex part, but whether you see it or not the logo is serving its purpose.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Oh man Steve.... after you said something, I can NOW see the other "H".

For me, and I would assume the average Joe Homeowner out there, they wouldn't ever see the second H. It's almost too clever and artsy/fartsy in it's design IMHO. Maybe for some graphic design company with the initials of HH, but a contractor/handyman? Not for me.... :no:

·
Owner/Installer
66 Posts
I see what you were going for but usually when it comes to logo design, less is more. I went to school for marketing and some of the things that the pros put into these simple designs would blow your mind. You definitely need to make the second H more obvious. I spent so much time drawing logos for my company when all i really needed was to just spell it out. see www.skyrofloors.com. Its all about consistency too. My "logo" is just simple white letters with bars on black tshirts, office supplies, and my silverado. Keep it simple and bold and it will stick in customers minds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To me, C & D both look to be "HO" due to the way the serif is done. I actually saw "HH" on A and B. The issue is, while I think it is relatively artsy, it takes more than a second or two to figure out which is all you sometimes get (people noticing decals in traffic, driving by, etc).

On top of that, it looks more like a homebuilder logo rather than a handyman logo. While you want to seem professional, its a different appeal to a sometimes different market.

Get maybe one or two different takes with completely different directions from your artist and see how that goes.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I like the font in 'a' but agree with the others the h's should be seperated for clarity. If you were a window company I could see turning the abutted h dark space into a open double hung window but that wouldnt help with this business.

I think handyman cheapens your construction brand; kind of like walmart steaks.

Hambleton Projects
Limited scope division of hambleton construction, llc

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your guys input on the logo. I still like the original concept of the logo and would like to make it cleaner and more obvious that it is two H's. I did a few changes to it myself that I will have my designer clean up. What are the second opinions?

Thanks,
David

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
The fact you can do a better job than your designer is telling you something.

Word of advice: Choosing a logo you're not completely happy with can become a very expensive mistake. T-shirts, hats, vehicle graphics, website, stationary etc all needs to be changed which can cost quite a bit of money.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I guess if you add more durable items to the list like Carhartt gear and have equipment like a backhoes that would add more perspective to Lee's point, but the real expense is much more hidden then that. A great logo design is not arrived at easily. Well, sometimes it is, but even if the right idea strikes in 5 minutes I would still fully explore the options to be sure since a logo is more important and requires more planning than most people realize.

A logo is much more than just a cool graphic that the owner likes. When you figure the mileage you get from a logo, doing it more than once is very expensive. And not putting enough planning into it the first time is expensive too, but that expense is only realized by people who get educated and/or think it through logically. Once created, you want the market to recognize it and associate it with your business.

Although it's technically only your visual representation, everything you do in business builds your "brand" whether you choose to carefully create that brand in the minds of target customers or let it happen by default. Either way a brand will be built. The idea that branding is just for big business is a detrimental misunderstanding of what branding is.

By changing a logo you must now start over with a recognition symbol. It's not just the money to "relabel" everything, it's the process of getting your market to recognize the logo and associate it with your business. That is definitely expensive.

·
Super Moderator
44,692 Posts
I don't think they need to know if there is an H or even two. Your logo needs to be recognized. Here's an example. Everybody knows what company this is,

Red Circle Clip art Sticker Graphics

but the logo doesn't have the name anywhere in it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts