Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as we seem to have several guys on site who do have experience wiring log homes i actually have some questions.

I've never wired one before, but my Dad is building a 18' x 20' log cabin (and when i say building i mean from the ground floor up .. he's peeling his own logs) It has one interior wall, a half loft, no basement (it's going on slab)

The building is 3/4 done, and it obviously has to be dismantled to be moved to it's new location so any channel work that needs to get done i'll be able to do at a later date.

Any advice on how to wire it? Any ideas where i could find info on how to do it properly?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Those things are a PITA to wire, especially when built on a slab, with no access from underneath. :w00t:

You basically have to drill your vertical holes in each piece as it is set in place, lining them up with the holes below, so you can later "fish" your cables down to your receptacles and switches. Or, you could surface mount everything after the fact, although that would not look as aesthetic. :no:

You have to be on site during assembly, and measure/drill your holes as they go along. We predrilled each piece, and then once set in place, drilled again thru to the piece below, assuring that any variation was smoothed over so wires could be fished in more easily.

Someone experienced with a router and wood chisel can cut out the holes in the logs for your electrical boxes, which can be set once your cables have been pulled in. You can "hide" some of the cables on the tops of the walls, or have a trench carved to place them in, and cover with another log in certain circumstances. :shifty:

Overall it will take you 4 times long or longer to properly wire an authentic "log" home. :whistling

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I agree with kbsparky, on a slab is the worst to wire. Is this going to be a two story? Are you doing beams with v-joint floor planking/ceiling or will there be a sub floor "floor joists" for the second story floor? The best way i have seen and to wire through the top was the contractor placed the 2X6 second story walls to the outside of the logs, this gave me about 1.5" of chaseway for my wires around the interior of the walls. Then the v-joint planking was set in but spaced out from the wall enough to be covered by baseboard trim. A big time saver would be to make a template for a router so you can cut out the boxes before you wire it in. Otherwise its the ole drill, cut and chisel method. If you are doing logs for the second story then you will be cutting out channels for the wires, chain saw is the fastest method here. Watch your screw placement too. Be sure all your screws are off center for better support and use the center of the log for your drilling. Nothing worse than hitting one of those damn screws with a new bit because some hammerhead sunk a screw dead center of the log.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,042 Posts
Three secrets to wiring a log home: Planning, planning, and planning.

I'm not kidding. Wiring a full-log home requires 100% pre-planning well before the first log is set in place. They are not like stick-built frame houses where the roof is on and it's 'weathered in' before the mechanical trades arrive.

If you have no idea what you want where and how to run it, it wil spell disaster all the way around. And once you start, it gets harder and harder to change your mind and the job progresses.

·
Pro
636 Posts
log homes are half of the reason I quit wiring homes. They became the fad and it seemed like every home we done was a log. I worked great while the true log home crafters were doing it. When every tom dick and harry started, they went downhill, fast. Can't just let them throw them up and show up like a regular job for sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You didn't mention if it was going to be scribed or not?

I actually flew out to Seattle to learn how to build log homes a few years back..sounds like perhaps your dad may be using the same technique?

If it is scribed..as others have mentioned your in for a treat!
If he is using chinking you can run the wires behind where the chinking will go. Still will need to drill verticals but you can use mud boxes with UF or even pipe it in so that you can access things later.

I would think that if he is doing it him self he may be using the chinking method.

·
ampman
783 Posts
i bought my log home already finished and the way they did it was along the base board a notch was cut for wiring and drilled a hole up to rec. and notched in box a really long nail plate was installed under the base switches run behind trim around doors very labor intensive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts