Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to work in Canada since i was young, now i am 30 and have been building Log Cabins over here in the UK for over 10 years now. Just wondered what sort of feedback i would get from anyone with some ideas of how to go about it.

I was a project manager for a log cabin company for 4 years working on some big projects. I understand the log systems very well, aswell as the foundations and fit outs.

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maslen,

It is not uncommon for companies to sponsor oversea's workers to come over here to work for a spell. I have worked with Carpenters from England and Australia. The employment climate has tightened up in Western Canada, but work is still around.

In my area we have a fair amount of log home building going on, but I'm afraid I do not know much about it. No local companies do this as a mainstay. I would look in the Canadian yellow pages (phone directory) for companies and ask if they would be interested in hiring you. They would first need to demonstrate by advertising for a Canadian with a similar skill set to fill your position, if you have 10 years experiance doing this I think they could make a pretty good case about hiring you. Your management experiance might help get a job, but I'd imagine you would not be running any jobs just coming into a company for a year, but you never know.

PM me if you have any questions regarding areas that are desirable to live or other specific questions.

Matt

·
Just do it right
6 Posts
2 year visa

I've always wanted to work in Canada since i was young, now i am 30 and have been building Log Cabins over here in the UK for over 10 years now. Just wondered what sort of feedback i would get from anyone with some ideas of how to go about it.

I was a project manager for a log cabin company for 4 years working on some big projects. I understand the log systems very well, aswell as the foundations and fit outs.

Any ideas would be very appreciated.
Contact log maufacturing companies and send resume to those that are interested.Whith your speciality you should be able to get a 2 year visa if you have a clean record.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
My mate gets sponsored to work in whistler for a restaurant on the mountains. If he can get a visa to work and sponsored then you should have no problem. I would head straight to whilst if i was you. See some well nice log homes out there when we went last year and year before. Some of them had 4ft wide logs for walls :blink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all your comments i will take them all on board, i am in talks with a cabin company in Ontario called True North Log Homes they are interested in me marketing there product here in the UK so that may be an opportunity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts