Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on the plans for a new house and I am trying to figure out the what the most cost effective way of framing the roof is.

The portion of the house that has the loft is 30' side by 35' deep with trusses/rafters running the 35' depth.

See attached pictures

Options as I see it are:

-Hand Frame Gable walls with beam pockets run beam across and use TJI's or Floor Trusses. The rafter will be over 20; so 2x12 is out of the qustion.
-Truss company suggested running two girders the 30' span with a pre engineered truss hanging from the girders (sounds expensive). see picture

Should mention that there are two 60" dormers on the front of the house as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
"please complete your profile, and continue to the intro page and tell us a little about yourself and your professional experience, thankyou and welcome to ct", gmod

·
Registered
668 Posts
stick frame that. for rafters 2x12s 16" o.c. will easily span that considering the kneewall runs full length. Sizing the main beam:whistling Make sure those load points transfer all the way down. good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx smeagol... I was intitially gonna stick frame with 2x12 but the problem is that 20'+ boards are expensive and special order here. However, I have shrunk the house down to 33' so that with the 8/12 pitch we can use a 20' which my lumber yard stocks at $25/board.

The other issue the designer mentioned to me with 2x12 is cross ventillation. But i'm not too worried about that

·
Sure, I can do that...
1,893 Posts
The other issue the designer mentioned to me with 2x12 is cross ventillation. But i'm not too worried about that
strap the rafters with horizontal 2 x 4's. cross strap the 2 x 4's with 1 x 4's to get your venting from soffit to peak. makes the fasca deeper, but cheaper than 16" wood I's.

·
Sure, I can do that...
1,893 Posts
Wtf 2X4 on top then 1 X4 on top of that. Crazy. Vent each bay then run continous ridge vent. Good to go we do this on all hand stack vaults.
we build for 125 to 150 psf snow load here. full ventilation is absolutely required and this is our best, prove method. The 2 x 4's allow cross-bay ventilation above the insulation and the 1 x 4's take it from edge to peak.
works good, in fact it beats full spray foam on vaulted roofs that are not straight gables.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wtf 2X4 on top then 1 X4 on top of that. Crazy. Vent each bay then run continous ridge vent. Good to go we do this on all hand stack vaults.
Ya this is what I was thinking. I just used Owen Cornings Raft R Mates on 20x15 solarium with a ridge vent and it worked great. I might add a 2x2 on the bottom of the 2x12 however so I can get a bit more R value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts