Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
over my many carpentry years I have installed many lock sets... today at a work day at our church I re-installed a new US Lock deadbolt, that a well meaning church member had tried to install... No instructions,,, but I only read them at 3:30 anyway.. what a pain... are all US Locks ... tune and adjust as you install or start from Scratch?

I don't want to think bad thoughts about anybody.

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
over my many carpentry years I have installed many lock sets... today at a work day at our church I re-installed a new US Lock deadbolt, that a well meaning church member had tried to install... No instructions,,, but I only read them at 3:30 anyway.. what a pain... are all US Locks ... tune and adjust as you install or start from Scratch?

Contractor Grade! But no more a PITA than any other. Pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
174 Posts

A lock installation jig or boring jig makes it much easier to align the holes if someone had worked on a lock before you and the holes are mis-aligned. You can clamp on the jig ,line it up,see what has to be done and then remove just enough material to assure smooth operation of the lock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For the Non-Locksmith, a Jig is a bit of an expenditure. Yes???

But Bot-O-Boy, do they make lock-life simple!!!

Especially if you purchase the PROPER, Commercial/Residential type.
I agree with you about the expense of the jig. There would have to be a sufficient quantity of lock installations to justify purchase.

I have read about carpenters making there own jigs out of scrap 1x material.They would have to make a "U " or at least an "L" out of the 1X stock drill a 2 1/8" hole for the crossbore at the backset location and have either a pilot hole drilled or a 1" hole for the edgebore. The most popular size jig would probabaly be a 2 3/8" backset for a 1 3/4" door. But with 2 backsets (2 3/8 and 2 3/4) and two thickness for doors 1 3/8" and 1 3/4" , more than one jig would have to be made to install knobs and deadbolts on interior and exterior doors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts