Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing a basic 16' long K style aluminum gutter. The original location of the downspout was at the end butting into the siding at an inside corner. Locating the downspout on the other end, which is the gable end, would work better in terms of getting the water to a slope that will take it away from the home.

Is there any reason that it would be advisable to have a downspout on one side or the other, in general gutter design? The original location near an intersect has more flow than the gable end since it receives runoff from abutting roof sections.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Basically comes down to where it will drain the best once reaches the ground as long as it's not an eyesore to achieve that goal. Going down gable is always my first preference for putting leader if the situation allows for it

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good to hear. I couldnt think of any reason that it would be a problem but I wanted to make sure there wasnt something I was overlooking. When the roof was reshingled, they did install a drip edge but it was somehow directing a lot of water between the gutter and fascia. The drip edge should overlap the back edge of k style gutter, correct? It was tucked behind the gutter, which was also hung with AL spikes.

I'm going to use "hang fast" type hidden screw in hangers. Any issue with those or better recommendations?

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
dielectricunion said:
Thats good to hear. I couldnt think of any reason that it would be a problem but I wanted to make sure there wasnt something I was overlooking. When the roof was reshingled, they did install a drip edge but it was somehow directing a lot of water between the gutter and fascia. The drip edge should overlap the back edge of k style gutter, correct? It was tucked behind the gutter, which was also hung with AL spikes. I'm going to use "hang fast" type hidden screw in hangers. Any issue with those or better recommendations?
Dosnt sound like a drip edge problem but more of a short shingle issue. Shingles should overhang enough so water drops into gutter instead of hugging metal and riding behind it. You can go under drip edge cause this gutter is short but for longer runs the pitch is usually well below the drip edge. Hang fast are great hangers and use on most installs. They are over twice the price as the others.

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
I use HangFast exclusively. By far the best I've seen. I buy directly from Raytec.
As far as drip edge, we always have the backside of the gutter under the drip. But as NYGUTTERGUY says, that isn't always possible once you start pitching any distance or if the roof/fascia starts is out of level and starts tailing upward when you need to pitch downward. It happens all the time unfortunately. I use a product called Drip Strip for that. It simply tucks up under the drip edge and shunts the water out into the gutter. But you won't likely have an issue with that with the run only being 16 feet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts