Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
framing/millwork supplier
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you a member ? If not how come ??....I am a member of the Savannah Homebuilders Assoc...part of the NAHB....I am on a membership team and have been amazed by the number of sub's who did not know or think they could join because they are not "home builders".....well you can..

In my market you receive various benefits...cell phone discounts to insurance ...not to mention all the parties and hot realtors...

So if your a sub-contractor you may want to research it ...its a great networking opportunity ...Instead of riding around from office to office or jobsite to jobsite to call on a home builder...go to a monthly meeting and all of them are in 1 room ...:thumbup:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Hell yeah! If you've got some $ we can use, we'll take you.

Christmas must be nearing. Even the Shriners are out stumping for new members. As long as you can pay the membership dues.......

:laughing::whistlingDoes anything ever really change in this world?

·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hell yeah! If you've got some $ we can use, we'll take you.

Christmas must be nearing. Even the Shriners are out stumping for new members. As long as you can pay the membership dues.......

:laughing::whistlingDoes anything ever really change in this world?
I was just trying to give out info ....the HBA supports you the builder not the associate members such as myself ...

and if you cant afford it ..then do not join...

and "The Shriner's" come on man...they help crippled and burned children...WTH does it have to do with Christmas .....

If you do not think outside the box to improve your business than you will need that box to pack your stuff and turn the light off when you leave..

I was just trying to give the sub's on here a networking opportunity to help them grow their business as I said alot did not even think they could join.:thumbsup:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Well, I certainly apologize. I didn't realize NAHB membership was free. So they support us, not the other way around? That's commendable.

I guess I had it wrong all these years. Kinda like the BBB, eh?

·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I certainly apologize. I didn't realize NAHB membership was free. So they support us, not the other way around? That's commendable.

I guess I had it wrong all these years. Kinda like the BBB, eh?
is anything "free"..

I do not know about your market but this one has seen a little upswing due to the 8000.00 tax credit ....Other than Realtor Associations the NAHB is the 2nd largest supporter of getting this increased to 15000.00 and extended to anyone buying or BUILDING a home and that cost money for lobbyist and such...this is done to increase business for all of us (even non-members)...

I am getting the impression that you think all they do is take your money and you get nothing in return...I am sorry you feel that way and maybe your local association operates that way ....but in the long run they do try to help you ...I mean to be an officer you have to be a licensed builder such as yourself these guys and gals are your peers not your enemies..

One of the biggest complaints on here is about unlicensed hacks....the NAHB has done and is doing alot to try to get these laws enforced and have these people put in jail...and This helps you Willie a non-member as well.....

I am sorry you feel the way you do but your right they are "commendable" because you will reap the return on the NAHB's investments and they did not charge you a dime:whistling

·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I belong, it can be a place to network, the monthly lunches are a great opportunity. I do get calls from people checking the online directory. You get as much out of it as you put into it, be involved!
I also get a discount on my WC, enough that it covers the yearly HBA fee:thumbsup:

Rc ...you see the big picture ...after your discount on WC...its FREE...see Willie I guess some things are free...:clap::clap::clap:

·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how is the weather in Alaska...its hot here heat index of almost 100....I want to go to AK before I die ..its on my list....

·
13 Licenses & Counting
197 Posts
is anything "free"..

I do not know about your market but this one has seen a little upswing due to the 8000.00 tax credit ....Other than Realtor Associations the NAHB is the 2nd largest supporter of getting this increased to 15000.00 and extended to anyone buying or BUILDING a home and that cost money for lobbyist and such...this is done to increase business for all of us (even non-members)...

I am getting the impression that you think all they do is take your money and you get nothing in return...I am sorry you feel that way and maybe your local association operates that way ....but in the long run they do try to help you ...I mean to be an officer you have to be a licensed builder such as yourself these guys and gals are your peers not your enemies..

One of the biggest complaints on here is about unlicensed hacks....the NAHB has done and is doing alot to try to get these laws enforced and have these people put in jail...and This helps you Willie a non-member as well.....

I am sorry you feel the way you do but your right they are "commendable" because you will reap the return on the NAHB's investments and they did not charge you a dime:whistling

I was member of our local NHBA affiliate for four years, and found that they offered quite a bit. I also serve on the board of directors for the local Ground Water Association (about 150 members - pretty small group).

In the WSGWA (Washington State Ground Water Association) I was part of an effort to get a law passed to allow for pump installer licensing - including the write up of the bill, finding sponsors, getting it through the house/senate, and pass the governor. It was a fun, but arduous process that made me very glad that we had another 25 to 150 members working on it. In fact, I don't even want to claim that I did a hell of a lot, because there were some guys working on it that were driving across the state twice a week to have meetings at the capital with their senators/legislators, etc. We're now getting ready to push an entirely new law through - we're in the write up phase.

Out of the $2500 I paid in dues to the NHBA affiliate, I have received about $50,000 in network related revenue - as in, they know my name only because they opened the membership directory - so I'd say we've more than broken even on the dues, but it took a couple of years. I'm currently working on one site that has grossed over $18,000, and has been very profitable for us.

I never really participated in the MBA (Master Builders Association) membership, and canceled at the beginning of the year due to financial concerns. I'm thinking I'll renew this next year and spend some time in the association, glad handing, etc.

One major issue I have had with the group is that on a whole, the HBA has had a policy of standing behind urban growth and throwing rural growth to the wolves if it becomes necessary due to politics. We're an industry that survives on rural growth - so, sometimes our politics aren't jiving. But, on the other hand, they do a hell of a job protecting developers, keeping regulation to a minimum, and stomping on the state rule making agencies as necessary. The reality is, it's hard to run a business and pay attention to what the rule makers are doing, and be involved, and feed your family, and, and and.....It's worth it in my opinion to find groups like this that can get enough people together to push the agenda you want pushed. And in the long run, you get what you give in these associations - if you want them to push painting regulations through, you need to get active, get on the board, get in the committees, etc.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Alaska weather right now is rainy (in my area) cool and windy..tolerable though.
How's the little woman holding up to working outside on the pony shack?:whistling

·
Registered
301 Posts
I belong for the workers comp discount, it does basically pay for itself. Can't say that I have ever really gotten any other direct benefits from it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts