Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone likes these questions as much as they enjoy visiting the dentist but I thought it was worth asking. I am helping a neighbor create a man cave and we had to demo a wall to extend the room into the hallway. Curious if anyone would consider this top plate to truss connection load bearing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
No.

However.....

IMHO YMMV no warranty expressed or implied ect ect

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
A bearing wall would have a double plate there. Not likely to be bearing due to that and other criteria. What the heck is that block for?

·
Registered
158 Posts
A bearing wall would have a double plate there. Not likely to be bearing due to that and other criteria. What the heck is that block for?
Looks like that block is there to hold the top plate as they didn't build the wall tall enough (no double top plate and pre cuts?) to actually touch the bottom chord.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would say no it's not....
I usually check all that type of thing before chopping any framing

·
Resident Pain
2,424 Posts
Looks like that block is there to hold the top plate as they didn't build the wall tall enough (no double top plate and pre cuts?) to actually touch the bottom chord.
Did they not build the wall tall enough or did the truss have a fairly large arc in the bottom cord. I know I have seen trusses that bad and was the only solution for tying into the wall.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Double top plates are used on bearing and non bearing walls to get the correct height. this wall is close enough to the exterior wall fire up the saw zall and give it hell

·
Registered
699 Posts
I know everyone likes these questions as much as they enjoy visiting the dentist but I thought it was worth asking. I am helping a neighbor create a man cave and we had to demo a wall to extend the room into the hallway. Curious if anyone would consider this top plate to truss connection load bearing?
While you have the truss exposed, you might want to see how well the decking is fastened to the hip system. I see a lot of total misses. :rolleyes:

If the truss is not setting on the wall, not load bearing. The little block attachment gave rigidity to the wall, not the other way around. (Also, I'll bet that the double plate wouldn't fit, so they just left it out, which is better than having the truss pivoting over the wall.) :jester:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts