Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for the forum, hired contractor to put up a load bearing wall header, and this is where he’s at so far. I have a general knowledge but just doesn’t look right to me. Am I off-base or is he?

·
Registered
GC
712 Posts
Anybody else curious what the bottom connection is like?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes, but I didn't want to ask. I assume the answer to my question will be "I don't know", so knowing what's on the bottom won't really matter.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is support at the bottom, the floor is supported in the basement where the posts are. I was not sure if you could screw the the 2x12s on the outside. I assumed the 4x4’s had to be holding the weight, not screwed to the outside. Essentially aren’t the screws holding up the weight?
There are permits, they were drawn up to have the opening, it just looks “not right”

·
Registered
Carpentry
215 Posts
There is support at the bottom, the floor is supported in the basement where the posts are. I was not sure if you could screw the the 2x12s on the outside. I assumed the 4x4’s had to be holding the weight, not screwed to the outside. Essentially aren’t the screws holding up the weight?
There are permits, they were drawn up to have the opening, it just looks “not right”
Dont pay until you pass inspection

·
Registered
295 Posts
Multiple problems, and questions. First problem, load path should be fully supported from joists to foundation. Normally support post would be under joist support beam, not fastened to the side of the beam. 2nd joists are floating and not supported except by weird angle 2x material. Wtf. A new joist should be sistered in next to the old running the full width of the house. 3rd on the far wall the 2x10 ? material looks like it’s not fully supported on top of the existing wall? Is there a second floor above this or attic space with storage? Existing joists might not meet current code if living space. As others have said load path through floor to foundation has to be considered and be solidly braced with possibly a new footing poured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.