Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an opportunity to buy quite a sizable amount of these. Mostly walnut, but some maple & oak as well.

One of my suppliers father put these away on the 2nd floor of their business, 20 years ago. He had the logs sawn off his own farm, then moved them to the building & stickered each log in the order it was sawn. 7' to 12' long slabs, 2-3" thick. All with 2 live edges. I didn't get a real solid count, but I bet there's at least 10-15 trees up there ranging in width from 12" (small end) to 20" (small end)

He doesn't know what they're worth, nor do I, but to my knowledge, I'm the only one he's offered to sell them to & I want to keep it that way, I just need to come up with a price that's fair for both of us.

We're doing more & more rustic work every year & I believe I have a market to use some of these fairly soon.

·
I like Green things
23,073 Posts
You don't know how close I came to describing them that way, just for you.:laughing:

Now, that we've settled that, what do I offer him for them?:whistling
There is unfortunately a premium for those right now. How much? Maybe 25% more?

Now this guy wants them gone, so that negates the premium and actually takes some off the market value. I say offer 25% under current market value at least, not taking the lazy edge part into consideration.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is unfortunately a premium for those right now. How much? Maybe 25% more?

Now this guy wants them gone, so that negates the premium and actually takes some off the market value. I say offer 25% under current market value at least, not taking the lazy edge part into consideration.
Not many people in this area doing anything along these lines right now, but I believe once I have them in my possession & start marketing to build with them, there will be plenty of people wanting them.

I think I'll go in & get a decent bd ft measurement on what's there & offer 25% less than what I can buy walnut from my normal supplier. worst he'll do is counter with a higher #.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
My wife & I had dinner with another couple some days ago and they had a nice shelf in their foyer to put stuff on as you came in. I could see it with car keys and the like on it. I could also see it with hooks below to hang stuff on, and a mirror mounted above.

Then there are your coffee tables and what not.

A local supplier here had cut up a bunch of eastern cedar (ditch trees) into large slabs and he was hoping to put a dent in the fireplace mantel market. It was beautiful material. Problem is, people have all these fake fireplaces which they tile around or something, and a nice gnarly piece of wood clashes with that fake look.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Depends on the quality of the wood and the width especially. There are many small band saw mills around here and many large trees, so that probably dilutes the market some.

I had a large maple milled off of one of my lots, so thankfully I haven't actually had to buy any. A 8'x20" clear slab goes for about $200-300. I would want to pay 1/3 that if I didn't already have customers lined up.

·
Been around
1,174 Posts
Not many people in this area doing anything along these lines right now, but I believe once I have them in my possession & start marketing to build with them, there will be plenty of people wanting them.

I think I'll go in & get a decent bd ft measurement on what's there & offer 25% less than what I can buy walnut from my normal supplier. worst he'll do is counter with a higher #.
I think that's high.

You're looking at a speculative purchase. If you had them (or some of them) sold or on had a commission to build that would be another story.

And then there is grade. Likely they are mixed.

From a dealer you would pay a premium for 12/4 over 4/4. They would probably be KD as well.

What your normal supplier pricing is doesn't provide you with much reference IMO.

I live in western NY state and within 100 miles of me there are quite a few small time guys with portable mills who sell air dried lumber. Looks like black walnut runs from $1.50 - $5 /bf.

If you were going to pick the best stuff and you could buy as little as you like then paying the long dollar would be expected, but that's not what you're talking about (I don't think).

With the speculative nature of the purchase I would think you would like to be at the lower end of the range. Feeling good around $1.75. Wondering, "What the hell was I thinking?" if the number nudges $3

When I buy on spec, I would like to pay no more than I could sell it for should I need to unload it for in a hurry. How fast could you dump it and for how much?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts