Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started a small front porch here in town. The old one was a small brick one, that was crumbling. The HO's just had their basement waterproofed and the old porch was in the way.

The HO had the foresight to leave the old concrete steps in place though.

I had my first meeting with them, and proceeded to the Building Department. The set back is 50' from the center of the road, their front door is 49' from the center.

Here is where leaving the old steps came in handy. Once the BI went out and looked at the property they realized that something was there and needed to go back.

I had another meeting, they made their selections and I went off to crunch some numbers.

Building Department called and said that I was fine to build a wider, but no farther out new porch.

Picked up my singed contract and a deposit on Christmas eve, and I dug footings the day after Christmas, picked up the permit the next day and had footings inspected and poured.:whistling

Repaired framing rot today, cut back stucco, flashed and installed ledger board today.

I think I will frame the little bugger tomorrow, tear out the steps and then wait on the new front door and the Ipe to show up.

I only have phone pictures and I will add them on the next post.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Wait.... you actually work!?

I thought you just bought tools... :laughing:

Looks like fun. But letting that Stabila lay in the dirt... :eek:
Who cares about the level..... I can't believe that Festool box does not have a piece of carpet or something under it.

·
I like Green things
23,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait.... you actually work!?

I thought you just bought tools... :laughing:

Looks like fun. But letting that Stabila lay in the dirt... :eek:

I work just enough.:laughing:

That dirt was mostly frozen, besides Stabila has a good warranty. :laughing:

Who cares about the level..... I can't believe that Festool box does not have a piece of carpet or something under it.
Those 3 systainer's have more stains and junk on them. Today they doubled as a saw horse.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Do you have a sketch of the new porch Warner or are we gonna have to just wait till it is done?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I think I will frame the little bugger tomorrow, tear out the steps and then wait on the new front door and the Ipe to show up.
Do you have a local supplier for your Ipe or do you order it from out of town? When we got the stuff for the arbor, we got it from here. The stuff sure is expensive.

·
I like Green things
23,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have a sketch of the new porch Warner or are we gonna have to just wait till it is done?
In my head.:laughing:

Just a 4'x12' steps in the same spot, Tehk balusters, miratec wrap over the framing, painted white to match the house trim.

They will plant some landscaping around it in the spring.

Do you have a local supplier for your Ipe or do you order it from out of town? When we got the stuff for the arbor, we got it from here. The stuff sure is expensive.
I get my stuff from them too.

Yeah, it is a little spendy. The 8 4x4" 4' were killer on this thing.:eek:

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Nice little project warner!
:thumbsup:

That's my favorite type of work right there.

Sure looks cold in those pictures though:eek:

·
I like Green things
23,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good so far. Do you put adhesive membrane strips over your alum flashing on ledger boards.
Ideally, but with the stucco that wasn't going to happen.

I was able to slide it behind the original building paper and I ran a bead of silicone on the backside of it before I shoved it up in there.

·
I like Green things
23,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today was an interesting day. Started out raining this morning, then it turned into sleet and then snow. Materials got dropped off after lunch and it had warmed up to 48 and turned it into a muddy mess. I think my rubber boots weighed 45 pounds each.

I put my 3 1/2 hours in today and got almost all my framing done ( still need to bust out the old steps). I called it quits when I couldn't stand to lift up my feet with muddy boots.

Pictures in next post.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Nice green level warner!!!

Nice and clean!!!

:laughing:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts