Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Lithium Ion Battery Question

1730 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  TheRewster
I have a new Dewalt cordless set. The manual says to charge the batteries when the air temperature is between 65 and 75 degrees. They say Do Not charge when the temp. is below +45 and above +105. The problem is the air temp. here is about 5 degrees. Do you guys bring them inside? Thanks:thumbsup:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
That's a good question----we are colder than a well diggers arse here--
I have charge min in as low as 0f and they charge fine. I'm sure they don't get a full charge like they would at 50f.
Reactions: mike d.
That's a pretty narrow range! I wonder if it has to do with the chemistry of the battery becoming possible damaged when a charge is applied outside that range? 65-75 is probably ideal, with possible damage below +45 or above +105.
mike d. said:
I have a new Dewalt cordless set. The manual says to charge the batteries when the air temperature is between 65 and 75 degrees. They say Do Not charge when the temp. is below +45 and above +105. The problem is the air temp. here is about 5 degrees. Do you guys bring them inside? Thanks:thumbsup:
I think Iam going to return the whole kit this weekend. I didn't they dont have a fuel gauge on them. Plus being so temperature delicate that concerns me. Anybody like the PC 20 volt?
Don't they use the same battery tech?
mike d. said:
I think Iam going to return the whole kit this weekend. I didn't they dont have a fuel gauge on them. Plus being so temperature delicate that concerns me. Anybody like the PC 20 volt?
yeah but at 1/2 the cost. Iam not sure what to do.
The dewalt 20v batts do have a fuel gauge on them, quite handy too.

I also read that and was surprised at such a narrow range but I usually have the heater running in the trailer in the winter and that's where I keep the chargers plugged in.
What kit did you buy? right now HD has the 5 piece one on sale, I've been thinking of ordering it.

ETA:
Link http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-5-Tool-DCK592L2/204311303?N=5yc1vZc2ec
yeah but at 1/2 the cost. Iam not sure what to do.
Its the DCK280C2. These batteries dont have the fuel gauge.
All of the brands are going to have basically the same actual limitations, but with different levels of conservative manual writing.
Oh that's lame.
Its the DCK280C2. These batteries dont have the fuel gauge.
An answer to your original question, yes I have a bag of batteries that I bring in the house when it will be real cold out and I need to get an early start.
Reactions: mike d.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.