Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Should I sign up for an enhanced listing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get an E-mail asking to sign up?
I did the free listing, they want $5.00 per month or $25.00 per month for enhanced listings.
Did a quick search in their directory and found several local business listings, I don’t want to be left out if there’s something here

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, i believe you should sign up, i did

and already got two jobs. As a contractor, i often find it difficult to mass market my services. Besides referrals, it is difficult. DO NOT sign up for those services that say "we will get you business on facebook, or etc" It is a fad and the entire world has jumped on the bandwagon and people are taking advantage of those of us who do not know much about internet marketing. Think about it.. people are not searching for painters, (my business) or any other type of service on facebook and other "social" media sites, they are connecting with their friends, not referring their friends to business. Can you get an occasional job from it, sure, but not where you should put your efforts. I wasted money on them. Also, do not give money to those businesses that say they will get you to the TOP of google and bing, etc search engines. Those are a constant battle with literally millions of websites. The reason I signed up with LIstingbee enhanced for $24 is that they also put my listing on Cyberhomes which is a property search website like Realtor.com. My business is getting a ton of exposure on that by people who immediately or in the near future will be likely to need painting (again, that is my line of work) in my local area. It is about being seen where people will need your services. My yellow page ad costs me $180 a month and don't get near what i get for only $24 a month. They give me my own profile/website page with my own website address, photos, videos of our work, testimonials, blogs, and a bunch of other things, but most importantly, exposure to people who will NEED my services. I hope this helps.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a domain search on them and they have been around for 5 years, that doesn’t mean the site has been up that long.

I plan on doing some more research on them this week, if there not a fly by night company then I’ll commit.

A few things I’ll be looking for:

1. BBB, pissed off consumer, and other rating sites

2. How a customer would find the directory, if the directory isn’t easy found then what’s the point

3. Domain age and if domain was transferred, if so when

4. Age of web site and ratings

·
Vendor
88 Posts
Their site doesn't seem to look any different from hundreds of similar directories. The question is if they're getting any traffic and what is the source of it. Looking at their own forum, doesn't look like the site is very active.

·
Vendor
9 Posts
In my experience, paid listings may not always be worth it. The free listings you can get through Google, Bing, etc, show up first, since they're also search engines. Make sure you've created listings on every free site you can first, then give it time. A great way to enhance the free listings is to ask for reviews (Yahoo, Yelp, & your Facebook page are also great for these). Although if a paid listing has gotten you even one job, then it has paid for itself.... you can't argue with success! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts