Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been running into a lot of problems lately locating where the water comes into the house. Line locator/leak detection companies are getting quite oricey to come out and locate these lines. What tricks do you guys use to overcome this and do plumbers ever have to rely on these line locator companies?

·
Registered
272 Posts
tgeb, do you have one of those locators? Reason I ask is that I have been pricing them and also the sewer cameras from Ridgid.... Just wondering what you think of them. Thanks, Paul

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
tgeb, do you have one of those locators? Reason I ask is that I have been pricing them and also the sewer cameras from Ridgid.... Just wondering what you think of them. Thanks, Paul
I own locating equipment made by Radio Detection and Metro Tech, and I have used the Rigid equipment, if you are looking for a locator to work strictly in conjunction with a sewer camera Rigid is probably your best bet, if you are looking for locating equipment to locate other than the serwer cam sonde you can get more bang for your buck with Radio Detection with similar accuracy.

·
Contractor
7,314 Posts
I don't own this one, but an associate of mine does and I have the use of it whenever I need it.

He has the SR-20 and also has the transmitter that goes with it. As far as I am concerned it works very well. As soon as you turn it on it starts to locate. It can display not only the location of the line but also the direction and depth of the particular line. As well as any other lines on different frequencies, all at the same time.

I have hooked the transmitter to cast iron pipes in a house, and found the sewer line accurately 80' away. It works way better on copper pipes and wires.

I have no experience with other locating devices, so I don't really have any comparison data other than I think the "Seek Tech" is more accurate than what the locating services use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just simply cant afford to spring for this equipment. A local plumber told me they cut the line at the meter and run pex line through the line until it catches and then one guy listens for where that is happening and they dig down. Maybe its a joint or a 90 and then they keep going until they get to the house. Right now I have 3 jobs on hold waiting for line location. This is unusual but also has me concerned. Any other low cost alternatives out there?

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I just simply cant afford to spring for this equipment. A local plumber told me they cut the line at the meter and run pex line through the line until it catches and then one guy listens for where that is happening and they dig down. Maybe its a joint or a 90 and then they keep going until they get to the house. Right now I have 3 jobs on hold waiting for line location. This is unusual but also has me concerned. Any other low cost alternatives out there?
Rent it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,610 Posts
If you currently have three jobs in need of a specific piece of equipment, right there you have justified the cost of buying it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it is a conventional foundation it should be pretty easy to find with a little crawling around. If not you might try probing in likely spots to see if you can find the trench, then dig (carefully) down and see what trench it is. That pex idea sounds like a major pain, and something to try to avoid. If there are any sewer clean outs that would be the best place to start looking. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts