Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else does this because I've never seen it mentioned in any vinyl siding manufacturer literature or vsi.

When running vinyl on a wall with seams if you follow directions to a T and leave 1/4" at the end then nail dead center of every slot, the piece can be slid out 3/4" away from the pocket.

Pics are of the situation i'm trying to explain.

My solution has been to only allow the piece 1/4" to move with the nail closest to the pocket. So if you grab the piece and wiggle it, it will only move 1/4" in and out of the corner post but the whole rest of it is free to expand and contract in the other direction.

I started doing this years ago when I noticed panels on older jobs worked themselves out over time, and walking around the house seeing the cut edges barely in the corner is pretty nasty.

Sometimes in the back of my mind I worry if they could ever refuse warranty for this though.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
trimchiree said:
Just curious if anyone else does this because I've never seen it mentioned in any vinyl siding manufacturer literature or vsi. When running vinyl on a wall with seams if you follow directions to a T and leave 1/4" at the end then nail dead center of every slot, the piece can be slid out 3/4" away from the pocket. Pics are of the situation i'm trying to explain. My solution has been to only allow the piece 1/4" to move with the nail closest to the pocket. So if you grab the piece and wiggle it, it will only move 1/4" in and out of the corner post but the whole rest of it is free to expand and contract in the other direction. I started doing this years ago when I noticed panels on older jobs worked themselves out over time, and walking around the house seeing the cut edges barely in the corner is pretty nasty. Sometimes in the back of my mind I worry if they could ever refuse warranty for this though.
I have done similar but never have gone over cedar without an underlayment like Tyvek.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I prefer getting the panel where I want it, center nail the slots, then limit it by picking a slot toward the center of the panel and 2 nailing it, allowing the panel to move in both directions while maintaining center.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Trimtree I use your method also,actually like lone says you can lock nail, but it doesn't need to be at the center,it can be at either end also but it can't be at both ends

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trimtree I use your method also,actually like lone says you can lock nail, but it doesn't need to be at the center,it can be at either end also but it can't be at both ends
brings up another point, like instead of j channeling or cailking where siding meets facia returns and other small things that need to be cut around, butting and pinning with a spline type flashing behind the joint

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
brings up another point, like instead of j channeling or cailking where siding meets facia returns and other small things that need to be cut around, butting and pinning with a spline type flashing behind the joint
That might be the best crown moulding wrap detail I've ever seen. I'm guilty of doing it the same old way, bending to to the crown plane line and angles out from there looking just like wrapped facia.

The step is really nice and I bet much more rigid I will always do it that way from now on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I don't know what the spline type flashing is, but to create the seamless look around those situations I saw off the rain board or crown so the J runs straight up the facia and keeps the wall flashing right. This way the funky notching of the J is hidden and yet still water shedding.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
We do the same but i love the crown detail you did

Attachments

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
yes i have but they are generally electric supply house items around here,Mid-America also has a block with a built in box but supply houses usually don't have them in stock

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Yeah, I have my electrician install them on new projects. I just grab them from the electical supply house for resides. You can get them online too. I prefer the Arlington over the Mid-America, because with the MA, you still need to have that ugly in use cover put on. The AI has that nice flush in use cover.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts