Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Doer of Many Things!!!
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that like the Google Chrome web browser, I'd like to suggest you give Iron a go. It's based off the Chromium engine as well. It's nearly identical to Chrome. It does not have all the privacy issues Google forces on you with Chrome. As a result it does not feature an Incognito mode though. It also doesn't have an auto-updater at this point. Chrome's updater runs constantly, using system resources and doesn't seem to actual check for updates. So I guess it's useless anyway. Iron uses a more up to date core than Chrome as well.

Try it here:
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

See the differences here:
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

·
Doer of Many Things!!!
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just installed Iron Monday on a PC as work. It seems to be pretty stable to me. I still prefer FF3 myself. But I like to at least trial all the major browsers. Between Iron and Chrome, I'll take Iron just because I know it isn't being as intrusive and Chrome is. Also it uses the latest version of the webkit and thus stays ahead of Chrome in development. There is a portable version on the download page I posted. You can try it out that way without actually installing it.

·
Doer of Many Things!!!
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a big to do over Chrome right now, but I can't say I buy into it's popularity. It does make some nice advances with its JavaScripting engine but that's really the only advantage it has at this point. Add some of the functionality of other browsers and your load up times will be on par with the rest of them. Firefox's new JavaScripting engine, Tracemonkey, promises to put it's speed right up there with Chrome when it's ready. When they are all done playing catch up and copying each other's most popular features, they'll all be pretty equal again for most general usage.

My main concern is that Google has been a big supporter of Firefox for a long time now. They didn't NEED to make their own browser. That leads me to question WHY they did so anyway. The best answer I can come up with based on the way Google has operated in the past and based on the current concerns on how Chrome works is: They wanted yet another tool to collect user data so they can better market their ads to you.

·
Doer of Many Things!!!
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've run into a few issues with Iron so far. Nothing major. Just some incompatible sites. I'd say by the time the Chromium packages get up to speed as full scale browsers, the competition, mainly Firefox and Opera, will have already taken Chromium's best features and incorporated them into their own software, and they'll probably do a better job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts