Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I knew what this was called, then I could Google it. An HO is wanting a special ceiling lamp to light his large picture on the wall. He says that what he wants will actually project light just to the painting & not outside the frame. My church has something like that. They have square & rectangular beams of light that are projected exactly where they want it (columns & such). From what I can see at church these things appear to be quite large & expensive.
The HO wants one just for a 30"x36" painting. Anybody here know what it's called? Projected light didn't get me anywhere online?
Steve

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I like the ones at arena/coliseums that light just the steps from up in the rafters:shifty:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Low dispertion bulb in a wall-washer?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If i understand correctly ... what your after is a ellipsoidal fixture ( known more commonly as lekos in the film and theater lighting industry ) They have adjustable baffles inside the fixture so that you can shape your light beam into squares or rectangles so that you don't flood unwanted areas with light.

To be completely honest i've never heard of one made for residential use, but then again there is lots of stuff i've never heard of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lightbulbs Unlimited had the answer: Framing projector. The recessed model commands quite a price:
http://www.arcadianlighting.com/nl-471w.html
http://www.arcadianlighting.com/ntl-313s.html
This first one is actually a gobo projector.

It's actually designed to throw cut out patterns or shapes onto walls (like stars made out of light onto a ceiling) It would do the job, but you'll face two problems;

a. finding a gobo that exact size

b. getting it to sit exactly where you want it ( this might not be too bad depending upon the fixture and how adjustable it is )

The second one looks like a mini leko .. so that probably what your after. Jeez .. i had no idea such a thing existed

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you imagine imagine spending over $1K to light up one painting? Sheesh, I would rather buy more tools.:w00t:
Steve

This first one is actually a gobo projector.

It's actually designed to throw cut out patterns or shapes onto walls (like stars made out of light onto a ceiling) It would do the job, but you'll face two problems;

a. finding a gobo that exact size

b. getting it to sit exactly where you want it ( this might not be too bad depending upon the fixture and how adjustable it is )

The second one looks like a mini leko .. so that probably what your after. Jeez .. i had no idea such a thing existed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts