Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a source for a specialty tool that I call a light stick (may not be the proper name). It is used mainly by hard wired home security installers. After drilling a hole in a door header, with a extra long drill bit, through the top wall plate, you insert the "light stick" through the hole to be able to locate it in the attic space. Of course it has to be 2' - 3' long. I have made a search on the internet with no luck. Maybe my terminology is wrong but I hope someone here knows what I am looking for.
James

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
You can make one yourself by taping a piece of clear plastic rod on the end of a mini mag light and shove the end of the rod up the hole. Works for me. Alternately, Greenlee's "fish sticks" are fiberglass fish sticks that glow in the dark pretty well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not at all what you were looking for, but my method uses one of those little yellow flags that you see them use when laying out lawns (They are about 3" x3" of square plastic filmat the end of a very thin springy wire that is 12-16 inches long.

It's pretty simple....

I drill my hole, either through the header, or even up through the sheetrock right where the wall meets the celing... A TINY hole. I then roll the flag quite tightly around the wire, slip it right up through the hole and spin it slightly in the opposite direction of the roll to unfurl the flag.

Then I go up into the attic, shine my light in the general direction and the thin plastic film of the flag will reflect the light from the flashlight. Now I know where i am supposed to drill or put wire or whatever.

When done, simply pull the flag from above and put in a *tiny* dab of spackle and you are done! The repair is so small its nearly invisible from the floor and when its painted you'll never see it.

You might also consider getting a bore light for inspecting rifles and pistols, particularly one that fits on a mini mag light and getting yourself a 10-16 inch plastic rod. Replace the bent rod on the bore light with the new one and you have what you describe... I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts