Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have small problem
owner send me a few wood frame walls with osb sheating, which I must lift up to 2 floor
the problem:
they use 2,5m osb but wall is 2,75 cm high so osb is not nailed to the top plate
is conection (nails -conecting studs with top plate) strong and good enough for lifting by top plate ? or do I need extra bracing

I don't have experience with wood framed wall and sorry for my english
regards
peter

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I would say it could definately be a problem. We used to crane up a lot of walls back in the day by hooking the top plate with shop made J hooks. Exterior walls were no problem, but the sheathing was always fastened to the top plate. Interior walls had to be lifted in a stack, because they would often separate at the top plate when lifted by the top plate.

To be safe, I'd just screw off or nail some scrap osb tying the studs to the top plate.

Joe

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hi
I have small problem
owner send me a few wood frame walls with osb sheating, which I must lift up to 2 floor
the problem:
they use 2,5m osb but wall is 2,75 cm high so osb is not nailed to the top plate
is conection (nails -conecting studs with top plate) strong and good enough for lifting by top plate ? or do I need extra bracing

I don't have experience with wood framed wall and sorry for my english
regards
peter
what is your location? your title says builder but your not familiar with codes or standard practices ?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Europe.
We use light ytong or brick. I can calculate how much force I need to pull over the nails, but pulling and lifting are different story.
These walls are made after project changed, for some reason they made wood walls, steel studs wall can be build easy.
The people who build these walls lift them in horizontal, but here the only way to lift is drop line from crane in narrow space between two existing walls and drug them up by top plate.

Railman, thank you for you post, if I nail some scrap osb just on one side it will be enough?

I don;t have space to flip the walls over.
regards

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Or nail a couple 2x6 scrap tying together the top plate, stud, and osb, or 5cm x 15cm, whatever you guys use over there for lumber. When you're rigging, a little common sense and planning goes a long way, doesn't hurt to go over board, make sure you put on a tag line too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for help. I will go with 2x6.
Now I'm reading all posts on this forum, nice place to learn about wood framing construction.
regards and thank you again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts