Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sort of going into uncharted territory, but I have a customer asking if I can set a spa on his deck after it is completed. I'm thinking that it can't be too difficult with the correct piece of equipment. The deck is about 7 feet high, and the property is on a mild incline.
I was thinking a small all terrain forklift could carry it around from the driveway, and set it on the deck in bout 10 minutes.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
It'll only take 10 minutes, I think thats a little high.
well sir.. there is licensing and continued training involved.. I would bet there is powerlines and possilbe damage to near by houses due to wind.. AND not to mention that it is a BIT noisy.. I promise I won't come on Sunday.. and will try not to swing the tub into the house, but don't fear I have insurance for that type of thing... all of which is why I charge what I do. I am sure you can find these guys...

but they are uninsured hacks.. I used to watch their show back in the 80's and they were always messing stuff up..

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
It'll only take 10 minutes, how much liscensing and training could possibly be needed for that? Its easy, anybody could it.

maybe we are not a good fit.. 1800ROTRMVR is who you need to call :w00t:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
babystuff, we lifted one with a skidder and forks for a 9' deck.....though the spa platform was lower because we built it for top to be flush with top deck surface. I did rent one with tracks though because the job site was soupey azz mud all over....took longer to unchain/rechain the skidder than it did to pick the spa/lift/set/position

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rent a boom truck.

OK, I think I found my solution.

I found a rental place that can provide one of these machines with 5' forks for $250 delivered.

I'm figuring it will be used less than one hour, so very little fuel, etc..

It has about a 4000lb capacity and will lift material 16'.

292_large.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hot tub probably only weighs 800-1000 empty.
then fill it with 600 gallons and add 5000.
Now you and six friends at an average of 200, add 1400
That is about 7000 lbs.
Then their are the wives sitting around while the men smoke cigars in the hot tub, add another 2000. (not that one guy has two wives, just one very fat one)

We always go to the local lumber yard and borrow their boom truck to lift the bents for out timberframes. We do enough business that they let us take it on their off day, Sundays, and we just gas it up when we bring it back. Beats owning the payments on a boom truck that you only need for a few hours per job. They'll rent it to others, but it has to come with their operator.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,556 Posts
OK, I think I found my solution.

I found a rental place that can provide one of these machines with 5' forks for $250 delivered.

I'm figuring it will be used less than one hour, so very little fuel, etc..

It has about a 4000lb capacity and will lift material 16'.

View attachment 23780
While that machine will probably work I'd still use a boom truck (crane) & probably less $. Just be sure to tell the operator what you plan on doing so he brings the proper straps.

If you do use the fork truck be sure to load the motor side towards the machine, it will be the heavier side & less chance of tipping that way. Also be sure to strap it off good to the forks.

I delivered spas for a local spa dealer on ones that got decks for a few years so I've seen the good, the bad, & the ugly of spa deliveries.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts