Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing these for a long time, and have gotten feedback for both ways. Which county should you list on the lien release. The county of the job, or the county where the subcontractor is located? Thanks in advance.

Brian Coates

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Dont you lien the property? Have your attorney do it, pay the 500 bucks and tack it on the bill or dont take the lien off.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
A lien and $2 won't get you a cup of coffee.

Go back through the threads and I'm sure you will find a lot of information about liens. The problems with liens are (in most states) they stay on the property for something like only 120 days. After that, the lien is useless. When you file a lien you still have to take your customer to court to get a judgement. So, why not skip the lien, go to court and then you can exercise your judgement and try to tie up the property with a (can't remember the name) to get some of your customer's assets.

But...lots of luck because most lawsuits require going to court 4 to 6 times, you win every time and you still can't collect a penny.

The only reason you may want to file a lien is when you think your customer is going to sell his home within the next few months. Otherwise, if your customer is not selling his home then don't waste your time with a lien because it does absolutely nothing. And...even when a customer is selling his home he can bond around the lien and you still won't collect a penny.

You always file a lien on the property you worked on and in the same county as that property. There is no other way. I always file my own liens. I made a MS Access application where I only have to type in the customer's information and the application prints the entire lien form. California just came out with some new lien filing laws, I tried to file a lien a few weeks ago and it was rejected. The only reason I file liens is because sometimes a customer is dumb enough to get scared by the lien and pay the bill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts