Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the $500 limit on unlicensed work only apply to installations?

What about:

- Design
- Pruning
- Consulting

If I want to do nothing but prune existing fruit trees in the landscape, (or just do designs, etc) and don't want to get a license, does this limit apply to me as well?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The C27 license classification is this:
A landscape contractor constructs, maintains, repairs, installs, or subcontracts the development of landscape systems and facilities for public and private gardens and other areas which are designed to aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the grounds within or surrounding a structure or a tract or plot of land. In connection therewith, a landscape contractor prepares and grades plots and areas of land for the installation of any architectural, horticultural and decorative treatment or arrangement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob, I am aware of what the license IS. My question pertains to what exactly I can get away with WITHOUT one. Anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
23,765 Posts
I'm guessing you are not licensed.

You are flirting with danger with your question(s)....

Bezerkley, You are also in a hot spot for consumers being aware of who they are dealing with....be careful, get the license....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude, all I'm trying to do is ask for clarification about what the law says. This is a yes or no question. Are you telling me that pruning small trees requires a license too? That's all I'm asking!

·
Super Moderator
23,765 Posts
Dude, all I'm trying to do is ask for clarification about what the law says. This is a yes or no question. Are you telling me that pruning small trees requires a license too? That's all I'm asking!
CTFO, you are an unlicensed guy seeking advice from pros.

Stay under the 5 bills and good luck....

License???? You are in Bezerkley....what do you think?????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My jobs are usually under $500 anyway. I just want to be able to advertise. When my clients want big stuff done I refer then to a contractor. So you should be glad to have guys like me stimulating your industry. Funny though, I'm probably more experienced in horticulture and orchard maintenance than so many licensed "pros".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then why not just get licensed?
Why not do a million other needless things while I'm at it? What if I'm happy without a license and getting one isn't necessary?

Why not just address the question I originally asked? I get the sense that being unlicensed is offensive to contractors! Don't you feel like it's just another way for the government to screw you? Maybe I'm not the one who should be the subject of this misdirected hostility.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Well you already answered your own question. You need a license if you do work over $500. You said you usually don't do work for over $500, implying you do, do work for over $500 sometimes.

And by the way, maybe you want to cool it, and not be such an ass hole. You came to an online forum, and then bitch when you don't hear what you want. Personally I don't care what you do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, M&R. I plan on getting my license once I have my ducks in a row, but until then I just want to know what I'm allowed to do.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Yes! Pruning trees requires a license if you enter into an agreement for more than $500. Every job that is over $500 requires a California Contractor License unless you want to work by the hour, or for a weekly salary as an employee and the owner or contractor hiring you deducts payroll taxes and pays worker's comp insurance.. It doesn't matter what you do. If you enter into any type of agreement or contract that is for more than $500 you need a contractor license.

If would not be fair to say that other trades need a license and gardeners don't.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Why not do a million other needless things while I'm at it? What if I'm happy without a license and getting one isn't necessary?

Why not just address the question I originally asked? I get the sense that being unlicensed is offensive to contractors! Don't you feel like it's just another way for the government to screw you? Maybe I'm not the one who should be the subject of this misdirected hostility.
You can most-likely run a gardening business for 50 years or more and never have a problem by not having a contractor's license. The only time you would run into a problem is when the contractor's board does a sting and when one of your customers complains to the contractors board. I've never heard of a sting going after gardeners. The contractor's board usually gets their victims from craigslist and the Better Business Bureau complaints. They usually go after unlicensed contractors acting as general contractors, concrete, plumbing, heating and they love swimming pool contractors.

·
GC/carpenter
40,508 Posts
If your wanting to advertise like you said you wanted to do, you must state in the ad you are not licensed and can not do any project over 500 dollars. That must be stated.

·
Knucklehead in charge
102 Posts
Curious,,,, so in CA no license if all work is legitimately under $500, but what about a business account, insurance etc.. you still need to be set up as a proper business correct? The $500 dollar rule doesn't mean you can be a pirate and work under the table.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts