Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I need a licensed electrician to wire a new construction home in Florida? Reason why I ask is I know good electricans in the military who I can hire but are not licensed.

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
Around here you can wire your own home without a license. If you hire someone to wire it for you, they must have a license. I am not sure of your area, but I don't think it is much different.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
That varies state by state. In some states without statewide licensing, that even varies by town or county. What a mess. The best thing you can do is call your local building department. If memory serves, FL does have statewide electrician licensing requirements. Many states will allow a visiting tradesman that is licensed in another state to post a bond to do one certain project. You might look into this possibility as well if your proposed electrician is licensed in another jurisdiction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mdshunk said:
That varies state by state. In some states without statewide licensing, that even varies by town or county. What a mess. The best thing you can do is call your local building department. If memory serves, FL does have statewide electrician licensing requirements. Many states will allow a visiting tradesman that is licensed in another state to post a bond to do one certain project. You might look into this possibility as well if your proposed electrician is licensed in another jurisdiction.
Thank you for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts