Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently a laborer for an Independent contractor. Most probably feel my pain on that. I really love the work. If it wasn't for chasing money it'd be a perfect world. I'm going to try and get my own contractors license within the next couple months. I was wondering if there was something I could do to help better prepare myself before taking the examination.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Read the applicable code book cover to cover. Make sure you're familiar with basic OSHA rules.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I got pretty familiar with OSHA during vocational school but I'll be sure to look into the rules more to refresh my memory.

·
Stuck in the Past:)
96 Posts
It's gonna depend pretty heavily on your state of residence. For my license, here in commiefornia, the test was two parts: law and trade. I took a class which helped a bit with the legal side, but was a joke on the trade side, full of outdated terms and procedures.
The legal side dealt mainly with contract law, taxes, payroll, and some code stuff. I studied the class materials on the law side a good bit, but the trade side material was so lame that I just read it a few times and gave up on it, thinking I might actually fail the trade portion of the test. Would've been a bit embarrassing, as I already had 18 years experience doing custom tile work:laughing:
In the end the test was multiple choice and largely common-sense stuff, and I passes both sections handily the first time.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello Johnny5,

While Phil is your expert in CA, I can definitely provide assistance if you are looking for information regarding Florida.

Let us know where you are and more information will be available to you.

Thanks!
Lisa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help yall. I'm actually in Rhode Island though. But I work throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Contact the code office and get info on the test. They should provide the reference material that the test is built around (ie: irc 2009, aci 318, osha cfr 1926, etc). Get the books and study them. There are also study guides and flash cards for ICC books.
Also find out insurance, bonding, references, experience requirements as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts