Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS there a link for what kind of license you need to install pools in Texas? Im trying to get into the field. Any information i would appreciate it. All the best to everyone.

·
Banned
356 Posts
IS there a link for what kind of license you need to install pools in Texas? Im trying to get into the field. Any information i would appreciate it. All the best to everyone.
You're going to need licensed Plumbers and Licensed Electricians preferably in your field of experience. Have you ever worked for a POOL CO. before? If not... Maybe you want to get a job with a local company and while you're there ask the foreman a lot of questions. ask him to explain the plans to you and ask him what the red triangle stamps on the plans are for.

Best bet is to ask a question and let a guy talk till he's blue in the face. Just soak it all in. I have a thirst for knowlege and most people in any field will gladly talk your ear off if you act genuinely interested in what they are saying. I've tested this with many people in different fields and they always explain how and why they are doing what they are doing.

I did it 2 days ago with a sprinkler installer... Just asked, "Whats the purpose of the little silver flower thing on the end..." He almost explained how every aspect of a sprinkler system works to me."

Sorry, I'm just thinking and typing, Call your local City counsel and ask what licenses and permits you need to get going.

What City are you in?

MZ-HANDYMAN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're going to need licensed Plumbers and Licensed Electricians preferably in your field of experience. Have you ever worked for a POOL CO. before? If not... Maybe you want to get a job with a local company and while you're there ask the foreman a lot of questions. ask him to explain the plans to you and ask him what the red triangle stamps on the plans are for.

Best bet is to ask a question and let a guy talk till he's blue in the face. Just soak it all in. I have a thirst for knowlege and most people in any field will gladly talk your ear off if you act genuinely interested in what they are saying. I've tested this with many people in different fields and they always explain how and why they are doing what they are doing.

I did it 2 days ago with a sprinkler installer... Just asked, "Whats the purpose of the little silver flower thing on the end..." He almost explained how every aspect of a sprinkler system works to me."

Sorry, I'm just thinking and typing, Call your local City counsel and ask what licenses and permits you need to get going.

What City are you in?

MZ-HANDYMAN

I live in a border town. I would like to get a job with one but the thing here is theres mainly only one guy that does it here; and he gets a lot of complaints about not finishing the job fast enough hahaha. SO thats why i want to get into it i consider myself to get things done and handle business well. Im thinking of just moving for a little and getting a job with a pool company to get some experience.

·
Banned
356 Posts
I live in a border town. I would like to get a job with one but the thing here is theres mainly only one guy that does it here; and he gets a lot of complaints about not finishing the job fast enough hahaha. SO thats why i want to get into it i consider myself to get things done and handle business well. Im thinking of just moving for a little and getting a job with a pool company to get some experience.
Find out who runs his crews and take him drinking with a recorder in your pocket then fix what needs fixing! ha ha...

Being that you're not "competing" with them, contact Pool experts in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc... and get all the help you can, Hell maybe you could start up a GARY POOLs, Keith Zars, Blue haven or other company franchise in your town.

Worth a shot!

Good Luck to ya!
MZ-HANDYMAN

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
and he gets a lot of complaints about not finishing the job fast enough hahaha.
Welcome to the wonderful world of contracting.

Seriously though...by whose standards is he not fast enough? Impatient HOs?

I've had people complain just after a month or so that their newly seeded lawn isn't full and lush. "This is Hawaii, I thought everything grew faster".
Some things just take time. Especially if you want them done right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts