Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been entertaining on going over to the areas that "Katrina" hit but was wondering if anyone knew if Fl builder's license will work in states that were damaged by natural disasters. If we do go, we won't go till the build up efforts have begun, which in my opinion won't be till at least a couple of months or more.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
I do know it can vary by state and how they choose to deal with it
I have not heard as yet how this one is going so far

I know when I went down to Punta Gorda last winter to work on my folks home (Charlie hit PG real good), I could've "transfered" (not sure that's the word) my license as they left a "window" (their word) for Out Of Staters to do so
I would not have had to prove residency and a few other req'ments that were waived
They were desperate for help 5 months later when I got there

I chose not to do so as I was only working on relative's homes and did not have time to work on others
Had I known they still needed so much help I would've planned a longer stay and tranfered my paperwork

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was looking for info on that on both LA and MS state websites. But nothing to the effect concerning this situation. All I found was things for if you were going there "just 'cause", no disaster situation.

I'm looking all over for any sign of at least contractors in the area needing help or something similar, if I get no response from Habitat. Which I haven't yet, but that's to be expected. All I'd need money for upfront on my end is gas to get there, food and lodging. Unless I can work a deal with someone with a travel trailer, and stay in a campground or on site.

To me it would be worth the trip from Ohio to help.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Yeah I'm sure it will take a few weeks to hammer something out
The FLA thing wasn't a standing order, just a waiver of sorts they implemented after they got slammed, only to be in effect for a limited time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts