Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting up my painting company in N.C. I'm getting mixed opinions as to whether or not a licence is required. Can anyone tell me for sure if it is a requirement, and if so, how do I go about getting one in N.C.? Thanks

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Most states don't require any specific licensing for painters. There are no tests or requirements for paint contractors to meet. Unfortunately for some of us, this means any hack can start a paint company, and thus drive prices through the floor. Check that link MinConst gave you and find out, but I'm willing to bet it's the same there......

What I wouldn't give for some sort of regulation of painting contractors. Even just a simple test to ensure they are competent would do a lot for our industry.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
AAPaint said:
What I wouldn't give for some sort of regulation of painting contractors. Even just a simple test to ensure they are competent would do a lot for our industry.
Get to know your alderman/council member or county supervisor. Once the business is more stable I plan to do this. To see what it would take to get a law passed.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You had better have one around here, It's a felony count without one.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
In this county, you are required to be licensed to paint. ANY unlicensed contractor will be charged with a felony. I'll see if I can post a pic of the signs in the next day or two.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm in NY (Long Island). You need a Home Improvement Contractors License to paint. There are two counties here and youe need one for each to do business--as well as many of the towns within the counties. Everyone has there hands out!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Richie, I left out the town and city licences here, we have them all. This includes one very small town of trailers where you have to have a licence but it doesn't cost you anything. I tried to get a link. The mayor is 96 yrs. old and it's a 55+ community, most are older.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
[
QUOTE=Teetorbilt]In this county, you are required to be licensed to paint. ANY unlicensed contractor will be charged with a felony. I'll see if I can post a pic of the signs in the next day or two.
[/QUOTE]

That's too much power to the gobment. I'd rather get a bad paint job.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
We have a high percentage of wealthy retirees here. They got tired of getting ripped off and they vote.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
[
QUOTE=Teetorbilt]We have a high percentage of wealthy retirees here. They got tired of getting ripped off and they vote.
[/QUOTE]

We're still allowed to carry sidearms here. We don't need so many laws.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts