Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a question as to my liability for a recently hired independant contractor. This guy I hired to counterflash all of our brick chimneys on the 2nd job he did for me robbed the neighbor of some valuable items such as jewelry and small appliances. The neighbor just recently put her house for sale and is very freaked out. The investigation is underway and I was just wandering if there is a liability on my behalf that I will be encountering in the near future?

P.S. Not 100 percent he did it, but my gut tells me this guy did it.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Hey Pb, Was this guy a sub-contractor that you hired? This will be one for the attorneys to figure out. I'm not sure if you are liable for his illegal actions. If he was an employee and he stole something from a customer i guess that would be one thing but if he is a sub and does something illegal ?? Does it depend on what he did? I mean if he sold drugs, or worse, shot someone would that make you somehow liable? It might fall under your umbrella of liability and take some time to sort out in court. Let us know how it goes. At this point everything is alleged and not proven also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Depending on who you are in contact with in the police investigation, I use the phrase;

Be vague, Deny Everything (now denying isn't so important)

But, until you actually know who is being charged to pay what, I would findout who is actually being charged/sued/etc. After that you will want to consult a lawyer, if they are holding you liable. Until then, I wouldn't freakout. Just let them know you believe it was another contractor on the job. You could even provide names/numbers if you have them.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you invite a friend over for dinner, and after leaving, he stops by and shoots your neighbor, is that somehow your fault? Why is this any different?

Bob

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You should be fine but perhaps in the future screen you subs a little better and try not to hire felons!!!

I subbed from a "builder" who was a felon. After four months I got paid $2,000 of a $3,500 house which the homeowner paid out of his pocket.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I guess I'm asuming the sub did the robery which in most states is a felony. I think in some countries for stealing they cut your hand off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts