Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long is a GC, Contractor, sub-contractor, liable by law to guarantee their work?

here by law 10 years.

it used to be 20yrs, which was changed to 15yrs, and very shortly after the current 10yrs.
just curious

·
General Contractor
8,080 Posts
how long is a GC, Contractor, sub-contractor, liable by law to guarantee their work?

here by law 10 years.

it used to be 20yrs, which was changed to 15yrs, and very shortly after the current 10yrs.
just curious
Depends what you provide warranty for. Remodeling/additions is standard 1 year material and workmanship.
New homes you have New Home Warranty which is 1-3-10 which required by law.
  • 1year workmanship and material.
  • 3 year structural
  • After that HO warranty covers everything else for the remaining 10 years.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn, we gotta provide 10yrs. on all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just one year. I offer two standard. Extra charge for 5 year, which covers everything on repairs from a roof leak, pipe burst, any small issue that may effect the insulation up to $500 in material cost. Anything larger, I will address the issue with an added cost or handle it and wait for an insurance claim.

98% of the time, we never have any issues that can't be fixed with 10 bucks and 15 minutes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I give lifetime warranty on everything I do but I specify that it's my lifetime so it may only be good for a couple of weeks. If you're lucky like I am, and you only work for reasonable people, you'll be happy to get a callback because it keeps them happy and keeps your name in their rolodex and nine times out of ten a callback leads to more work and is something that wasn't your fault anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts