Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to install lexand over the entire exterior side of a french entry door. I need half-moon cut-outs to match the profiles of the knob and lock sets as well as pre-drilled holes around the peremiter of the piece, to fasten it to the door. Don't wanna crack anything. Any knowledge about the best way to accomplish these modifications to the lexand stock?

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not sure I used Lexan but it was plastic sold as window glass replacement material. I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut close to my line and then a belt sander to finish. Make sure the material is clamped or held down tightly by the blade. Maybe a Dremel for your inside cutouts? Watch the heat.. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WindowMan said:
Are you doing this because of golf balls ? or to prevent glass breakage.
Just wondering.

Jeff

Actually Jeff, these customers want to protect their doors from the eight large dogs that have the run of the back yard. I suggested something like expanded sheet metal but the owners did not want the view hindered.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What's going to protect the Lexan? You might want to keep a template, I'll bet 8 dogs could do a number on the plastic.. :)

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Lexan is very strong. I have used it in the past for boat windshields. You can cut it with a sabre saw, band saw. Just tape it off so you don't scratch the surface. Leave the protective coating on untill it is installed and you will be all set. You can also drill it like anything else. Very eay to work with in the 1/4 thickness. Be sure to support the sheet when cutting and drilling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MinConst said:
Lexan is very strong. I have used it in the past for boat windshields. You can cut it with a sabre saw, band saw. Just tape it off so you don't scratch the surface. Leave the protective coating on untill it is installed and you will be all set. You can also drill it like anything else. Very eay to work with in the 1/4 thickness. Be sure to support the sheet when cutting and drilling.
Thank you, Paul. Exactly what I needed to know.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Lexan is soft and forgiving, it will not shatter or spiderweb like acrylic. Drill holes slowly and slightly oversized as the material will push away from the drill bit and then come back, like rubber but not as much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to cap the thread; the material was in fact very easy to work with. As the moderator said, it pushes away from the drill bit some but I was able to cut out for the knob sets with a 3' hole saw bit - no problems at all. Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts