Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I like them but the lever lock part wears out and then the tape creeps back in slowly.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
The way I look at it, 99.9% of the time, I don't want the tape to lock. The few times I do, I'll just slide the lock.

With a lever lock, I'd have to bypass the lock for the 99.9% of the time to be convienient the .1% of the time.

I can see where some trades might need it to be locked more often, but not me.
Joe

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The way I look at it, 99.9% of the time, I don't want the tape to lock. The few times I do, I'll just slide the lock.

With a lever lock, I'd have to bypass the lock for the 99.9% of the time to be convienient the .1% of the time.

I can see where some trades might need it to be locked more often, but not me.
Joe
It's handy to have it lock automatically when you are doing layout or rough-ins, for framing it's just a pain.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
What I don't like about mine is that it doesn't lock tight enough. In some situations I want to hang it from the hook and the tape will go all the way to the ground. Mine's a cheap Komelon from Lowes, that might be the problem.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What I don't like about mine is that it doesn't lock tight enough. In some situations I want to hang it from the hook and the tape will go all the way to the ground. Mine's a cheap Komelon from Lowes, that might be the problem.
Give a stanley a week and it's the same.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I only use to for layout . Cheaper then hiring someone to hold the end of it. Other then there useless in my line of work

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
There is one laying around, probably an accidental theft from a HO.

Goes into the "penalty tape" bin. You don't have one, or forgot yours...you carry that POS for the day. You'll remember next time.

We used to have a better penalty tape. Someone got me a tape with a voice recorder in it from Brookstone's (12lbs+). Everyone recorded a special "message:censored:" on it.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
There is one laying around, probably an accidental theft from a HO.

Goes into the "penalty tape" bin. You don't have one, or forgot yours...you carry that POS for the day. You'll remember next time.

We used to have a better penalty tape. Someone got me a tape with a voice recorder in it from Brookstone's (12lbs+). Everyone recorded a special "message:censored:" on it.

I got the Black&Decker AutoTape as a gag gift a few years back... I'm going to dig it out of the shop and use it as a "Penalty Tape".. Thing weighs 10 lbs and is the size of a small dog.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I was told a story ....of....A Spanish hanging crew using a 2' stick with notches to measure the the board and cuts... Anyone ever heard of this method?

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Hate them. Eventually they just peel the coating off because I forget to keep holding the lever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts