Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Levelling walls for tiles

1799 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  jarvis design
I've been installing tiles for quite a while now and one of the most frustrating things I have to deal with, is unlevel walls. Even when I've worked with contractors and had made it clear to them that a level wall was crucial, I still get tsunami walls.
Have you a unique way of dealing with it?:huh:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
By level do you mean plumb?

If you really want it flat tar paper, lath and mud should do a good job.
Reactions: 91782
If our tile guru Angus was online right now, he'd repeat that level/plumb is not nearly as important as FLAT.
Angus would tell us to 5-dot every tile with nice thick blobs of mastic to obtain a nice smooth plane.
If our tile guru Angus was online right now, he'd repeat that level/plumb is not nearly as important as FLAT.
Do you want me to delete this post before he sees it? :laughing:
Angus would tell us to 5-dot every tile with nice thick blobs of mastic to obtain a nice smooth plane.
Reactions: sycamorebob
I'm fishing, I want to see if he takes the bait. :laughing:
Do you want me to delete this post before he sees it? :laughing:
Reactions: rselectric1
My answer is Tec 3n1 :thumbsup: being both a thin and medium bed mortar you can float out many out of plumb areas, add in the no slip (6# /sf) properties and it is hard to find a better mortar for walls.
I am guessing by his description he is talking about flat. The " tsunami" reference would indicate a wavy wall (crown in and out).

Screw the paper and lathe route, those crazy hobbiest...

Drywall shims as a first resort. That has always worked for me. If they are way out of plane you can sister or plane as needed.
If the framers can't crown... and the drywallers can't shim.... either charge alot... or put vinyl tile on the shower wall.....:clap:
I've always been lucky enough to only tile walls that I have framed/trued and boarded. I have done maybe 2-3 jobs where I tiled onto someone else's "prep" job. Remember them sucking!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.