Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
i live in philly and we run into this all the time.

Couple of solutions--- throw a level below the basement stairwell headers. ( they usually sag at the intersection of the lowest step in the basement. Get a 2 1/2 ton jack ( you can do it with a 4x4 and a fulcrum.) i suggest a jack.

Jack the header beams up, away from the intersection ( about 12 inches away) once it shows level, nail a few 2x4s to the side of the headers, this should pick up the weight, put a pressure treated 2x12 below the intersection and install a screw jack to support the load. Slowly remove the shoring studs.

You can also throw a wall below the header but your floor in the basement may not be strong enough ( smack the floor with a good shot from you hammer, if the hammer bounces back you are probably ok if it sounds hollow you are in for a pain in the butt. Do this also where the screw jack is installed or your problem will just come back. Hope this helped

also check where the side header support beam runs into the wall. It may be rotted.

wtf!?

·
Registered
50 Posts
sorry scribbles

after I read what I wrote I can see where it would be difficult to understand. some corrections--- couple of solutions--- place a level under the basement stairwell headers to determine how far the beams have dropped. ( they usually sag at the intersection where the beam or beams run along side your cellar stairs. if your beams are exposed it will be evident if not expose them. . get a 2 1/2 ton jack ( you can do it with a 4X4 and a fulcrum.) I suggest a jack.

Jack the header beams up, away from the intersection ( about 12 inches away) once it shows level, nail a few 2X4s to the side of the headers, this should pick up the weight, Put a pressure treated 2X12 below the intersection and install a screw jack to support the load. slowly remove the shoring studs.

you can also throw a wall beneath the header but your floor in the basement may not be strong enough ( smack the floor with a good shot from you hammer, If it sounds solid you are probably ok if it sounds hollow you are in for a pain in the butt. do this also where the screw jack is installed or your problem will just come back. hope this helped

also check where the header support joist runs into the wall. it may be rotted.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts