Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am new at the banister stair type and I am a bit baffled on how to level these things. I just recently bought a row home and the banister stairs (1 to 2nd floor) are out of level. interestingly enough, in the same area of the stairs in the basement, there is a metal column holding up the beam. I suspect that the house has settled and the metal column is doing the work to hold up the beam. My questions:

1. Is this common in these old row homes?
2. What is the standard procedure on jacking up the stairs
3. Is there another easier way to leveling the stairs :)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Alright, I am new at the banister stair type and I am a bit baffled on how to level these things. I just recently bought a row home and the banister stairs (1 to 2nd floor) are out of level. interestingly enough, in the same area of the stairs in the basement, there is a metal column holding up the beam. I suspect that the house has settled and the metal column is doing the work to hold up the beam. My questions:

1. Is this common in these old row homes?
2. What is the standard procedure on jacking up the stairs
3. Is there another easier way to leveling the stairs :)

Thanks

Tear it out and start over. Seriously

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
an east coast or northeast term for a stair railing
Usually applies to aa wall hung rail as opposed to a ballustrade which would contain both a bannister and ballusters
Back here its the rail
and balusters on the open side.
Dincha ever get to slide down
the banister when you were
a kid? :clap::w00t:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see we have some comedians and some knuckleheads in this forum :). At some point, one of you, or a friend will need some help doing electrical or structured wiring work.......

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I see we have some comedians and some knuckleheads in this forum :). At some point, one of you, or a friend will need some help doing electrical or structured wiring work.......
And some of us realize that if
we want useful information,
we need to provide specifics
to anyone who can neither see
the situation, nor read minds. :thumbsup:
Vague questions breed vague responses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah I see, specifics. You know I respect the fact that you boys and gals, have a gazillion posts on me. But man, it is a general question, perhaps I was hoping for a little common sense from the experts.... but then again, common sense, it's just not all that common. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what's that, a..........

recent veteran, a PE, a guy who just bought a house and is asking a simple question. Like we say in the military, smart folks are usually the ones that have the most to learn. :eek:

·
Registered
547 Posts
limamike,

Hang in there, you've almost made it through CT basic training, knock you down to bring you back as a member of the team.

What you describe in your OP is fairly common(if I picture it correctly). Random google image.

EX: Left side of stairs above are dropping from settling or damage to frame that supports it. As it settles the newel post leans, out of "plumb", to one side taking the rail with it. The newel may also be loose which adds to the leaning.

Depending on the actual cause of the problem will determine how much work it would be to make it right.

Now if your 1st to 2nd floor banister is out of "level", that's a good thing.
If it were level, you got a really big job ahead

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aframe

Thanks man, I hear you on the basic. I see you too are from titletown :thumbup:. Your photo fully illustrates what is happening at the house, im out in somerville. I will need a few days to upload pics, I am in seperation mode from uncle sam and am spending a bunch of time at Hanscom. Thanks again, I will follow up soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just finished a couple of bathrooms in Somerville. Good luck at Hanscom and the house. Depending where you are I hope to god you have a driveway.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Thanks man, I hear you on the basic. I see you too are from titletown :thumbup:. Your photo fully illustrates what is happening at the house, im out in somerville. I will need a few days to upload pics, I am in seperation mode from uncle sam and am spending a bunch of time at Hanscom. Thanks again, I will follow up soon. :thumbsup:
Don't forget you need to show us
what's going on under it as well. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts