Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm renovating my old unfinished basement this winter as a project to keep me from going nuts.

I have everything figured now, in certain areas the concrete is not level. As far as I can tell, in some places it's about 1.5" low.

That is not my concern, but the blending it into the higher area of the floors is, where the concrete will be so thin.

I was going to use mesh in the deeper areas and score the concrete with a masonry blade to help with the bonding.

The real issue?

The wife is dead set on artistically painting the floor....a local bakery has it and she loves it.

Because of this, the finish is very important.

There is not a ton of height in this property either, or I would slab over what's there. We would like to retain as much height as possible.

I've looked at different products, called local concrete suppliers and consulted with other contractors and have yet to really come up with a product or a solution to this.

Calling for help! :)

Thanks in advance, happy to answer or give any more info needed!

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Doesn't matter what you do to the floor. There will be alot of prep work that goes into getting the floor ready for what you want.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Most floor levelers that can be troweled to a thin edge will look a lot different than regular concrete.

Jiff Set is white--Feather finish is very dark gray---What ever you do will look like a patch job-----------

Might be an answer out there--I just don't know it.--MIKE--

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I wouldn't worry about what the patches look like before the final prep work is done. This doesn't sound like some raeco job then cover with carpet or wood.

The whole floor could be leveled out and skimmed with raeco or similar. The surface will still need to be addressed. Wonce the surface it smoothed out it will all be up to the painter and the base coat. With out the base coat just painting a picture on raw concrete or leveler will look like ass.

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.quikrete.com/productlines/ConcreteBondingAdhesive.asp

http://www.wrmeadows.com/wrm00020.htm

this might be the stuff i used over 25 years ago. To this day the repairs i skim coated to an exterior porch slab and sidewalk are intact and sound. The product was purple like PVC primer. I got it at a local masonry supply yard

http://www.resarch.com/bonsalamerican/PDFdocs/CONCRETE.PDF
I had seen products like these, but I was unsure how reliable they really were when it came down to floating out a floor that thin.

I'm really pushing for tile or carpet down there, ideally carpet because I feel it takes away from the basement feel.

Thanks for all the great input, these things really make me want to pull my hair out!

·
Concrete Mike
285 Posts
The job u are attempting to do is easy if u are a cement mason, if u are not then hire someone to do it. Here are some steps and products.
1 If floor has paint u must remove paint and then neatrilaize it
2 shop blast floor, use resperator for free cilica
3 check ph level on floor
4 apply ardex primer
5 apply ardex self leveler
Sounds easy, call your local supply house they can tell u step by step how to apply this product. Then u can go to home deopt and buy that colored product to apply on top. Remember u get what u pay for! This product is one of the best but it costs. Do not use mesh!!! Also u can look up the product ardex on line, the are located in pitts., i have been there for ovrelay seminars, the can also sugest other products and help u on doing it yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts