Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had that set, it's actually slower then just putting it on with a knife
Really? what problems did you experience with these that made them so slow?

Ive actually got fairly quick with finishing by hand but have the opportunity to bid on a couple hundred 12' standups and thought the flatbox would speed up that process.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I've heard there of low quality ...Can't say for sure.

I'm new with the boxes ..If I bought a new set they would be Drywall Master.. I have a d/m 7 box and it's built like a tank!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Boxing is way faster than putting it on by hand, however, there are some things to know before you get proficient with them. Mud consistency, blade adjustments, etc. I have never seen hand coating any where near as fast as box coating. An average 200 sheet house takes 1 guy a couple hours with a box. :thumbup:

·
plasterboard/drywall stop
12 Posts
Really? what problems did you experience with these that made them so slow?

Ive actually got fairly quick with finishing by hand but have the opportunity to bid on a couple hundred 12' standups and thought the flatbox would speed up that process.
As commercial finisher I know nothing beats boxes and I highly recommend TapeTech Power Assist - the best for standups (fast and easy to push)

·
Registered
110 Posts
The problem with the level 5 boxes is that the blade carrier is made of plastic instead of brass, like a quality box blade carrier. Personally I use a Columbia 8" boy flat box for first coat. The fat boy holds more mud for less trips to the pump. I use a 10" regular Columbia box for second coat. If I'm doing a smooth finish I'll run a 12" tape tech box for truly flat joint finishing. My Tape tech box is over ten years old and still running great. As tape tech is mostly Chinese junk now days I'll stick with Columbia tools.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A friend of mine purchased a set of these when they first came out. He was having trouble with them edging. He asked me to adjust them as I did most of the tool adjusting. Nothing seemed to work to get the 12" box from edging ever so slightly. I tried putting an ever so slight crown; 1/64th" more or less, in the blade and of course a little s curve side to side so that the blade remained seated after crowning. I couldn't get the blade to seat even to (or ever so slightly proud of) the shoe. The blade stuck out a little too far from the shoe even when fully depressed. So all I can say is yes the box did spread mud about as well as any. But it edged. I like my box work to look very clean with no edges. And a flat fill. I could not get this box to work the way I like them to. But I think they have reworked the design since then. Maybe they work better now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Tape Tech 10" and 12" that I bought in 1980 that still work great. Even the bazooka still works well. I also have some Columbia's and Northstar's that I purchased more recently. But the old Tape Techs run very cleanly when well adjusted. I don't know how to rate the level 5's. But I got my money's worth out of the Tape Tech boxes and tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts