Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm doing a job covering up some plaster walls that got painted with green sand paint on the walls. I'm using a product called glidwall that is a woven fiberglass sheet and gets two skim coats over the top to cover. These folks hired a sheet rock crew to cover the ceilings because it had a very heavy texture on it.

As I was putting the final skim on the walls the owner told me how the finishers skim the ceilings. I looked up and said, "where did it go?" He said most of iit came off when they sanded it...:laughing::whistling

Attachments

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy a plannex and sand it off, so much easier
Does it get used with dust extraction? The walls had sand paint and a few layers of wall paper so I'm fairly confident that the glid wall system works best for me. I have a total of 15 hours in this job and it's done.

I might consider it for textured ceilings though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Jason Whipple said:
Just found it and it does. Most wide sanders don't do well on plaster because of the irregularities in the wall. I'm just shocked that these finishers sanded after the skim coat.
Why are you so shocked? I always sand a skim coat. It doesn't have to be thick and in all actuality it shouldn't be. It's only skimmed so that the difference in porosity between Sheetrock and mud doesn't flash in high light level or glossy paints.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Just found it and it does. Most wide sanders don't do well on plaster because of the irregularities in the wall. I'm just shocked that these finishers sanded after the skim coat.
House I worked on ages ago was 15k square feet, all level 5 finish. Even inside the closets was level 5. A group of guys sanded every square inch...what a dusty mess.

·
pro
850 Posts
Jeff G said:
I totally unfamiliar with the Plannex. Have you any experience with the Porter Cable sander, which doesn't have the motor in the head? I'm just wondering how the tools compare; Festool vs Porter Cable
The Festool is far superior in every way. Really makes drywall enjoyable (to an extent) lol

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
The Festool is far superior in every way. Really makes drywall enjoyable (to an extent) lol
I was also wondering about how the tool feels when in use. Does it seem at all top heavy or though it wants to tip in use given the motor is in the head? I know this has not been a problem with the PC.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
country_huck said:
Has anybody had both?

The PC is a great sander that does a quick job and is dust free... I just can't see how the planex could be all that much better...

I need to get my hands on one and see

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Had the PC, now have the planex, the PC wasn't even close.
The planex is incredible. :thumbsup:

Mike
Then I take it that the motor in the head of the tool is not a bad thing: it doesn't make it seem top-heavy, or have the tendency to tip?

Your input is very much appreciated, by the way. Thanks!

My apologies to the OP in getting this thread off-topic.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Jeff G said:
I totally unfamiliar with the Plannex. Have you any experience with the Porter Cable sander, which doesn't have the motor in the head? I'm just wondering how the tools compare; Festool vs Porter Cable
I rented the porter cable last year and was so unimpressed with the thing that I wasn't even going to try the festool, but my local festool dealer let me use his display to knock down some popcorn on my own house, and I had to have one. I don't regret it at all.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
I'm not currently sanding anything. I was just curious about the Festool sander vs the PC sander, which I have a fair amount of experience with.

Unlike a top-notch finisher, I typically don't have enough opportunity to hone my finishing abilities. In fact, I know of one finisher who sands very little, or not at all in some instances, because it isn't needed. I, on the other hand, am not anywhere near this good of a finisher, as I don't have the opportunity to do so. I might have a large job that by the end of it I have gotten pretty good, then it might be 6 months to a year later (maybe longer as I would typically sub out larger jobs) before I get another job that requires the same skill level to finish something, particularly to a L-5 finish.

To have the right equipment would probably help me more than anything else in finishing up something that I probably botched the tape and mud somewhat to begin with.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Ceilings are easier with the planex because it will stick to the ceiling. I like the planex but my porter cable has thousands of hours on it and it's quite a bit cheaper. The biggest difference is the cost of the paper. $7 a piece for porter cable, $1 for the festool. Another difference is I used 100 grit with the porter cable and 180 is almost to aggressive with the the festool.:blink:

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Jeff G said:
Thanks, JLS! In what ways would you say it was better, or the PC was worse?
The sanding it's self is about 3000 times better, dust extraction is way better, just pretty much everything is better, it's hard to explain. And it's really not to much more money. $200 more I think. The vac is expensive though

1 - 20 of 87 Posts