Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first trailer and am playing with the idea of having it lettered. Before I have always had magnets for the trucks. Id rather have decals for the trailer but am a little hesitant broadcasting whats in there when I am in certain areas. I was thinking of having larger magnets made for the trailer so I would have the option of taking them off at times if need be. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
bferris said:
This is my first trailer and am playing with the idea of having it lettered. Before I have always had magnets for the trucks. Id rather have decals for the trailer but am a little hesitant broadcasting whats in there when I am in certain areas. I was thinking of having larger magnets made for the trailer so I would have the option of taking them off at times if need be. What do you guys think?
Magnets don't stuck to aluminum.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have similar concerns with lettering my trailer. That's why I'm having a vinyl banner made up for the spring.

I can hang it off the side of my trailer or from the roof of my ez up canopy. Advertise during the day - private at night and in transit :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duct tape can fix anything lol! Hell, I saw a Honda the other day and the owner used long strips of duct tape for racing stripes...I bet it added 50 hp!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well....my local areas are very nice but the bottom line is thieves are everywhere, especially in nice areas! Why would they steal junk from their area in bad areas lol? I think I am going to hold off on the lettering until I think about it more. I never really did well enough with lettering to justify the risk. Word of mouth is what has kept my business going and has always been the best marketing by far for me. Did a lot of online marketing a few years back and it just attracted clients who wanted to pay for a Geo Metro and wanted a Ferrari, staying away from that route!

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
bferris said:
Well....my local areas are very nice but the bottom line is thieves are everywhere, especially in nice areas! Why would they steal junk from their area in bad areas lol? I think I am going to hold off on the lettering until I think about it more. I never really did well enough with lettering to justify the risk. Word of mouth is what has kept my business going and has always been the best marketing by far for me. Did a lot of online marketing a few years back and it just attracted clients who wanted to pay for a Geo Metro and wanted a Ferrari, staying away from that route!
That's were your wrong . People steal no matter what . If I was going to steal which I never would . First pick would be un-marked cause your hiding something most of the time .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Personally, if you get by just fine by word of mouth then don't bother with the lettering. I have never advertised and never lettered any of my vehicles. I like the way my truck and trailer look unmolested. I'm sure I could get more calls with lettering, but it scares the [email protected]* out of me letting everyone know that I have my entire shop in one little box. Many thoughts and opinion on this subject, just my $.02.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally, if you get by just fine by word of mouth then don't bother with the lettering. I have never advertised and never lettered any of my vehicles. I like the way my truck and trailer look unmolested. I'm sure I could get more calls with lettering, but it scares the [email protected]* out of me letting everyone know that I have my entire shop in one little box. Many thoughts and opinion on this subject, just my $.02.
I agree with you on freaking out over having your livelihood in a box saying I am in here, come and get me. I spent a lot of money on the best locks and security I could find but that will only slow them down in the long run which is the goal. I guess I will stick to yard signs while on the job and networking with folks. Funny how we have all this high tech internet stuff but word of mouth always prevails it seems...at least in my experience. I have landed a few great leads on internet sites but they are few and far between with a lot of nightmare clients in between.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I tried yellow page ads and magnets on my vehicles when I first started out years ago.

We keep track of where all our calls come from. (It's not hard. We just ask, "How did you hear about us?")

We've gotten zero calls from the magnets.

I got 3 calls from the yellow pages ad which all turned out to be tire kickers and yielded zero results.

My quality is high, and so are my rates. All my work comes from referrals or personal contacts.

I've never lettered any of my trailers. Exactly for the reasons above. I don't want to advertise what's inside to those who don't need to know.

Locks, alarm system and comes home with me EVERY night. I'm working to make my stuff enough of a hassle that they would get frustrated, move along, and try for something else.

I'd say if you have a price point that any person can afford, advertising is the way to go. Blitz people everywhere, yard and vehicle signs, hang tags, ads in papers, bill boards, radio and TV, etc., etc. That stuff does work. Those companies work off volume.

I'm not trying to work that hard! I'm selective and discreet. That's what works for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My truck and trailer are not stickerd either. All my work is word of mouth. There have been some jobs that probably required a permit to be pulled, but it's usually small enough to where it's easier just to get it done. I had that client ask me that if my trailer was lettered up, that I not park at his house incase the building department drove by and seen a "construction" trailer in his driveway, and then decide to stop in a see what's going on. Now most likely they would not stop, but that job consisted of replacing a kitchen sink. And in my area, you need a licensed plumber to do that and they have to pull permits and have it inspected. 99% of the work I do is by the books but sometimes ( like that kitchen sink) it's easier just to get it done yourself.

·
Registered
641 Posts
:clap:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts