Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
BamBamm5144 said:
I can't figure out how you can pay wages to that many people when your gross sales are 400k. What does everyone make a year? 15k?
Read my post. I just added these people this last qtr. I have been up and down on guys all year. This last qtr I averaged 68k in sales. Last jan and feb I only had 20k of sales. March and April it was just me and 2guys. March sales were at 35k and so was April.

First 6 months I had 170k in sales. This past 6 months I had 312k in sales.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
lshomesolutions said:
Read my post. I just added these people this last qtr. I have been up and down on guys all year. This last qtr I averaged 68k in sales. Last jan and feb I only had 20k of sales. March and April it was just me and 2guys. March sales were at 35k and so was April. First 6 months I had 170k in sales. This past 6 months I had 312k in sales.
Gotcha.

Are you sure you aren't prematurely over staffing your company?

When I was near your same level I was still the main sales rep and had a crew of 5. I answered the phones and did all the book keeping.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
BamBamm5144 said:
Gotcha. Are you sure you aren't prematurely over staffing your company? When I was near your same level I was still the main sales rep and had a crew of 5. I answered the phones and did all the book keeping.
Yeah I see your point about premature over staffing. I am watching it closely.

The only way that I will be ok is if I hit 40% gpm. If I don't do that then yes things will have to change. I am tracking every job closely. I have never had to go looking for work. So now with an office manager and a guy helping with bids I have been knocking on doors. Residential and commercial. Got two church jobs coming up and a 40k house remodel. I feel like I have the people in place to make sure we hit the 40% margin.

Bam what sales are you at now? How long have you been doing this?

·
Super Moderator
28,925 Posts
Yeah I see your point about premature over staffing. I am watching it closely.

The only way that I will be ok is if I hit 40% gpm. If I don't do that then yes things will have to change. I am tracking every job closely. I have never had to go looking for work. So now with an office manager and a guy helping with bids I have been knocking on doors. Residential and commercial. Got two church jobs coming up and a 40k house remodel. I feel like I have the people in place to make sure we hit the 40% margin.

Bam what sales are you at now? How long have you been doing this?
Is Seguin a pretty happening place now days? Hadn't been there in years, but with its proximity to Austin , New Braunfels, San Marcos and San Antonio and the want for many people to move out of the city's I imagine it's doing well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Jaws said:
Is Seguin a pretty happening place now days? Hadn't been there in years, but with its proximity to Austin , New Braunfels, San Marcos and San Antonio and the want for many people to move out of the city's I imagine it's doing well.
Well Seguin and lake mcqueeney are big river towns. 75% of our work is on river homes. A majority of these homes are vacation homes for Houston people. This year I am gonna push the new braunfels market

·
Super Moderator
28,925 Posts
Almost all our work is on second homes, too, Horseshoe Bay , Highland lakes and neighboring towns and ranches. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
28,925 Posts
If you liked Mark Stone, check out The E MYTH.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My favorite time of the year is December, business wise. We buy tools, vehicles equipment, take bonuses and credit operating capital (if funds available of course)

January is my second favorite and my least favorite all at once. :laughing: You start from zero (other than operating capital) and have the I have to sell ------ amount of work. We tighten up spending in all areas, I network harder, hunt for leads. Almost feel like your backed into a corner, and I like it :thumbsup: At least as long as there is some funds in the bank :laughing:

Every sale feels like a TD in January and February.

Unfortunately last January and February sucked for me. Already booked into March loosely, need some smaller projects to fill it all the way up to make any real money though.

Happy New Years, boys. Hope it's a banner year :thumbup:

John......define smaller projects to fill in.....do you mean 1200 to 2000 or something larger than that......just curious.

_________
Mike

·
Super Moderator
28,925 Posts
John......define smaller projects to fill in.....do you mean 1200 to 2000 or something larger than that......just curious.

_________
Mike
I'll take anything that pays :thumbsup::laughing:

Smaller meaning bathroom remodel.

We have made whole years out of a bunch 2 - 5k jobs before though. They are profitable if you do them yourself. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
28,925 Posts
Yup love that book. That is why I have stepped out of the installer role and into a role of growing the business. Great book
Nothing wrong with that :thumbsup:

Take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm not nearly as experienced as some of these guys here, but my 2 cents:

Don't put your position in a box.

I do whatever I need to do at any given time, and I evaluate my priorities on daily, weekly and monthly basis.

When we have 4-8 projects going, 10 hands and subs , clients to deal with, selections to be made, ect.... I am in my truck 10 hours a day bouncing between those jobs (I have two lead carpenters who help run them) and do admin when i have time, rarely in the office.

Same for when we are bidding a lot of projects, I'm in the office a lot more.

But, a lot of the time, we are in that comfortable position where we have several decent size projects going and no bids to get out ect.... , I bag up at least six hours a day, sometimes all day for weeks at a time. That'sa good way to keep that year end profit margin higher.

A big money maker is doing small projects yourself, as well as setting up jobs and punching them out. No one will be as efficient as you at setting up a job (taking photos of the furniture and possessions and moving them, laying Ram Board and Masonite, dust protection and dust extraction, stage materials) and doing the final punch. You will always find something they missed or a dirty glass from construction dust ect...

The smaller projects ( I mean one or two days or 1-4 hours) , every contractor knows the quickest way to not make money at those is inefficiency or lead azz. I knock those out pretty regular ( all of the 1-4 hour ones anyway) and the margin is even higher.

Just something to consider. Personally, I don't like playing babysitter estimator all the time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Jaws said:
Nothing wrong with that :thumbsup: Take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm not nearly as experienced as some of these guys here, but my 2 cents: Don't put your position in a box. I do whatever I need to do at any given time, and I evaluate my priorities on daily, weekly and monthly basis. When we have 4-8 projects going, 10 hands and subs , clients to deal with, selections to be made, ect.... I am in my truck 10 hours a day bouncing between those jobs (I have two lead carpenters who help run them) and do admin when i have time, rarely in the office. Same for when we are bidding a lot of projects, I'm in the office a lot more. But, a lot of the time, we are in that comfortable position where we have several decent size projects going and no bids to get out ect.... , I bag up at least six hours a day, sometimes all day for weeks at a time. That'sa good way to keep that year end profit margin higher. A big money maker is doing small projects yourself, as well as setting up jobs and punching them out. No one will be as efficient as you at setting up a job (taking photos of the furniture and possessions and moving them, laying Ram Board and Masonite, dust protection and dust extraction, stage materials) and doing the final punch. You will always find something they missed or a dirty glass from construction dust ect... The smaller projects ( I mean one or two days or 1-4 hours) , every contractor knows the quickest way to not make money at those is inefficiency or lead azz. I knock those out pretty regular ( all of the 1-4 hour ones anyway) and the margin is even higher. Just something to consider. Personally, I don't like playing babysitter estimator all the time.
I totally agree with this. Part of the year we were real inefficient. But now that I am out of the office I am helping out more, clients are seeing me more, my guys are seeing me more. All of this while my guy is sitting behind the screen doing all the bids and selection stuff. When he is not doing this he is to be in the field helping us get out of jobs.

My truck box is full of tools. Jaws, great advice

61 - 72 of 72 Posts