Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, soon to be having the opportunity to set up a box truck for the purposes of all things gutter installation. I've seen a few box trucks/trailers used for the purpose and have some ideas of what I'd like to do, but I wanted to see some more!

So, do you have a box truck or trailer that you use for your Gutter machine and gutter accessories? I.e. Extra Coils, Generator, Downspouts, miter saw, rollers, end caps, elbows, etc etc.. I'd love to see pics, or have a brief description of how you have your truck set up so that you can fit everything in there ;)

So far, I'm thinking of building a frame in the bottom of our box truck, with 3 compartments, one for downspouts, another for fascia metal, and a third for fascia boards. The gutter machine would sit on top of this frame, and there would be shelving in the back of the truck for the smaller accessories. I'm also kicking around the idea of placing two lolly columns (one on either side of the truck) supporting an I-beam or 4x4 beam with a small block and tackle for loading new coils. Haven't got that all figured out quite yet, but that's why I'm here ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting off with 5", it's possible we'll also want to be set up for 6" sometime down the road, but it'll be residential for quite a while.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Starting off with 5", it's possible we'll also want to be set up for 6" sometime down the road, but it'll be residential for quite a while.

6" is residential here. We do about 65% 6" on just regular houses. There are so many different set ups we've used and I'm still trying to find the perfect one. Machine should be on the floor with nothing stored under it or it will be too high making the gutter out of the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, when I first saw a frame under the machine, I thought the same thing. I don't want to lose an eye when the gutter comes out. But we did some measuring, and came to the conclusion that the frame would only have to be around 18" tall, the gutters would come out around chest level.

Still a little higher than would be ideal, but I'm thinking the trade-off (convenient storage for downspouts and other 10-12' long materials) would be worth it? Otherwise there would be shelves on the sidewalls of the truck for the purpose, and all of a sudden the truck is getting crowded quick ;P

That's just my thoughts, nothing is set in stone of course, but it seems like the best of the options I can come up with off hand....

Where do you store your downspouts & such?

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
A lot depends on how much you need to carry with you. I have a storage box where I store downspout etc so don't need to drive around with a full van all the time. I also only keep white in the truck.

I have two trucks and both are set up differently so there is no right or wrong way. Go grab a few dozen 2x3's and a few sheets of plywood and I'm sure you'll figure it out. I'm not happy with either set up but been planning on changing next rainy day. That was a few hundred rainy days ago. Good luck

·
Fugetaboutit
205 Posts
When I had one, I had it set up in a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Beside the machine was boxes of downspout. I mounted crates to the wall for elbows, fittings, etc..

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
I started out with a 7x14 enclosed trailer and went to a 7x18. This way, if a tow vehicle goes down I can switch it out for another.
All self contained with gutter machine, elbow machine, boxes of downspout, a bolted down toolbox for hand tools, and pretty much everything I need from day to day.
I've got a skid steer with a boom pole on it and load coil onto the machine through the side door.
It's a little disheveled right now. Usually I reset & reload on the weekends. Haven't gotten to it yet. For some reason the photo uploads keep failing. They're only 2.5 MB.
Junior - what are you using for run out stands if the gutter is coming out chest high?

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
I bet I've tried 6 or 7 times. The upload fails every time. Sorry.
Funny that after a period of time you can no longer go back in to edit.
I also attempted Photobucket but they were down this morning too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, and thanks for the comments ;)

I like the shelves to the left of the gutter machine as well for Downspouts, fascia, etc. My fear is not leaving enough room for the Iron Man gutter machine. They're quite large, especially for a 6' trailer O_O

Thus far, I'm not using much of anything. I plan on using the tripod rollers, but those are a max of 42 inches on average. Which is too short for the purpose, so in short... I'm not entirely sure lol

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Hey guys, and thanks for the comments ;)

I like the shelves to the left of the gutter machine as well for Downspouts, fascia, etc. My fear is not leaving enough room for the Iron Man gutter machine. They're quite large, especially for a 6' trailer O_O

Thus far, I'm not using much of anything. I plan on using the tripod rollers, but those are a max of 42 inches on average. Which is too short for the purpose, so in short... I'm not entirely sure lol

They sell stands with longer legs. My supplier drops half round and box gutter out of a truck that pretty high up.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Here's one of my old stands that I needed to have higher since I added too many leaf springs to the truck. Just added some tubing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts