Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
DPDT, Momentarily on
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p

I just got a great deal on a 93 Jimmy K3500 ext cab long bed, sbc w/ tbi, gr4spd, 4.11:1 gov lock 14b rr.

Arguably it's got almost all the good chebby parts in one truck...

...but...

...it's also got that fabulous flyaway white paint so many 90's vehicles were known for.

I'm putting cab corners on, then it'll need to go to bare metal before prime and paint.

Who's had the pleasure of doing this and what worked?

Oh yeah, no blasting.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I used to use Klean Strip or Dupont. The higher priced strippers work better and save time. Trick is to lay it on heavy and keep brush stokes to a minimum. Don't do it in the sun, and the colder the better. Give it time to work. Tape up the jambs to keep them clean. Best to work one panel at a time.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I did mine back in the day and got my new van and parked it!

Strippers , not really feeling it, reason being I've painted quite a few things by now.

When you spend a lot of time and you get too paint and the chemicals react and ruin your paint it's about the worse thing that can happen not too mention expensive !
Sandpaper is your friend! Buy it from napa it will be cheaper than anywhere else!

Use a grinder where you will be filling anyway!

Attachments

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Yes the primer he's talking about sands down fairly fast and makes for a good base!

This car was done 2 years ago and is holding up well,

See why I don't like strippers, doing 3 stage paint jobs that stuff can come and haunt you 3 different times!

Watching the paint react on my caprice was not only frustrating but pissed me off knowing I had to redo it!! It was only fun the first time!!

Attachments

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Here's the pic of it in primer the other pic was how far I sanded it down for primer!

Oh and if your not looking for show quality, with this car I used a red 3 m pad and scuffed the primer to let the new paint bite!

And I never buffed it either that's fresh out of the booth!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
I'd sand it with my RO 125 hooked to a CT. Use the Granat paper. Both the RO and Granat was ported over from Festools Automotive division.

Back in the day, I'd send the Panteras to Redi Strip. Nice to have the shells come back paint ready.

Tom

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I stripped my Buick down with a DA and various grits depending on paint condition. Took some time but it was down to bare metal with no chance of problems.

·
DPDT, Momentarily on
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did mine back in the day and got my new van and parked it!

Strippers , not really feeling it, reason being I've painted quite a few things by now.

When you spend a lot of time and you get too paint and the chemicals react and ruin your paint it's about the worse thing that can happen not too mention expensive !
Sandpaper is your friend! Buy it from napa it will be cheaper than anywhere else!

Use a grinder where you will be filling anyway!
Yeah the body work will get ground out, per sop. Man that's truck abuse right there. Nothing worse than letting them sit. Put some mud tires on it and go boggin' :thumbsup:

Yes the primer he's talking about sands down fairly fast and makes for a good base!

This car was done 2 years ago and is holding up well,

See why I don't like strippers, doing 3 stage paint jobs that stuff can come and haunt you 3 different times!

Watching the paint react on my caprice was not only frustrating but pissed me off knowing I had to redo it!! It was only fun the first time!!
This is going to get the one weekend wonder job once all the body work is done. I get my paint from the local NAPA, so it's all Martin Senour/Sherwin Williams. I've had good luck with their single stage urethanes, so I'll go with that and whatever primers/sealers their system recommends.

Blast it faster and cheaper. And like posters above no chance of chemical reaction.
I know , I know, but around here getting it to a blaster adds 8 levels of pita to the job. Unless you know someone who's got a pot and compressor for sale, and hoses, and hood, and will deliver it, and maybe take a '97 Ram 3500 svc tk in trade. Yeah, probably not happening. :sad:

I'd sand it with my RO 125 hooked to a CT. Use the Granat paper. Both the RO and Granat was ported over from Festools Automotive division.

Back in the day, I'd send the Panteras to Redi Strip. Nice to have the shells come back paint ready.

Tom
Got any tubs left over? I've got a Cleveland needing a home. :thumbsup:

DA and elbow grease is going to be the big suck. There's like, what, 200 bazillion square feet of body panel on this over sized bath tub.

I stripped my Buick down with a DA and various grits depending on paint condition. Took some time but it was down to bare metal with no chance of problems.
Will you'ns stop with the manual labor already. :laughing:

Damn!! :sad:
I know, right?! Not even the 1st picture of the kind of stripper we all were hoping for.

To neutralize stripper all you need to do is wash the panel with a special solvent called water.
Dayum, what'll they think of next, right?:laughing:

Well I guess I'd better start writing up the supplies list later, right now time to install some tunes.

·
DPDT, Momentarily on
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had really good success stripping clear coat off of rims with air craft stripper.

Personally I would sand it all off the truck and then use high build primer and then block it all down.

Oddball match of seats and later console you got there!
You noticed that? The seats are from a 2000-ish chebby.

I'm surprised no one has asked about the NP435 in a '93 model. I'm pretty sure they got phased out with the square body trucks.

This came with a 4L80E and a GM reman long block. The a/t left after a big hill with a New Holland skid steer got the best of it. The guy I bought it from swapped in the 4 speed and drove it for 6 or 7 years. It's been parked about 2 years, so far it's checking out good. The motor looks nice and clean under the valve cover and has no blow by, or noises at all, save for a couple of exhaust leaks.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I'd rather paint them than do engine work, I'm too strong I end up snapping bolts which just infuriates me! Then the nut you need to break your arm to get undone just too have to put it back together and you have a bucket of parts left saying wtf!!

Nope not for me I'm scrapping it as soon as the snows gone!

I'll mud my quad way before I do a truck, it's just too Dam expensive ,

I did the truck single stage, I'd rather do base coat clear, I got all my paint jobs done in a day and trust me theres always a boatload of taping to do,

I can start taping in 15 minutes, but on my bikes I had to reassemble them in order to keep my lines right!

Attachments

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Tease!

Her I saw the thread title andd thought davinci had come back with a story about strippers in one of his vehicles...:whistling

Reactions: App-ironworks
1 - 18 of 18 Posts