Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
looks like a decent setup, chop saw, tools in one place the a bench. simple yet proper

back in feb i was trimmng a new house, the general flipped out becuase i set up a work bench and would mid day organize all the off cuts and give a light sweep in the area i was setup. said i was wasting homeowners money as they are paying for a trim carpenter not a labour, yet the labour would ony show up once a week therefore a pile of crap laying around in the way

mind you in regards to the bench, this weekend im going to build a workbench top that i can use for assembling window jamb boxes and and other tasks, mdf top with a skirt around for stiffness then prob a lower open space for storing tools and fasteners, it will be very portable. i was going to use my main bench as its easily move however i forgot i put it in my new shed before the door was instaled, therefore wont fit out.....

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Thats usually about how I leave my jobsites at the end of the day. What it looks like mid day is quite different.

OCD is good sometimes.

At the end of the day with a 20 minute cleaning you can locate all your tools and put them away, and I go even a step further. I spend about 10 minutes actively looking for problems or things I have forgotten and add it to the list for tomorrow.

Here's the best part-90% of the customers absolutely love it.

Keep doing it that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Ok I pay great attention to detail, I have OCD!!!!!
I see issues
Carpet? You don’t hold up your base 3/8”?
Is that window Egress?, looks a little low
No door stop
Is that a framing gun at trim stage? WOW
No vacuum hooked up to the saw
Never, and I repeat never lean wood, levels or whatever on finished walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shoot the electrician for the patch on the two gang
Slide in extensions on the chop saw when not in use
That trim gun better not fall, GRR
Cover the floor vents
Are trying to start a fire, move that light
Get that cooler out of here, man I told you guys, no drinking on the job
Who rolled up that hose wrist to elbow, long loops please!!!!!!!!!!!
Need I saw more, great you got me twitching now

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
My customers would shoot me if left that many tools on the job
And I mean that latterly, most of my clients are police officers and state troopers :shutup:
I run a tight ship
I have one van, two utility trailers, two enclosed trailers
And 3 employee to move all the tools back to the truck and broom sweep at the end of each day

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok I pay great attention to detail, I have OCD!!!!!
I see issues
Carpet? You don’t hold up your base 3/8”? Gap is about 3/4"
Is that window Egress?, looks a little low Windows are all being taken out and replaced
No door stop Doors are being removed
Is that a framing gun at trim stage? WOW Yep i done some frameing in the hall way right before i took the pic. House has about another 3 months of work.
No vacuum hooked up to the saw Dust bag works great. But i do have vaccum on the table saw thats not in picture.
Never, and I repeat never lean wood, levels or whatever on finished walls!!!!!!!!!!!!! Walls may look finished but they are way from it.
Shoot the electrician for the patch on the two gang That was me lol. The box was cracked and i got pissed of with it and smashed a hole in the wall trying to get it out. Looked perfect at end of day
Slide in extensions on the chop saw when not in use Saw was being used right when i took the picture
That trim gun better not fall, GRR It's a perfect fit for the dewalt rail. Holds a lot of my tools when i dont use them
Cover the floor vents They have nothing going to them. everything is disconnetced
Are trying to start a fire, move that light It keeps me warm because of no vents working lol
Get that cooler out of here, man I told you guys, no drinking on the job it's full of food :clap:
Who rolled up that hose wrist to elbow, long loops please!!!!!!!!!!! That was rolled hand under hand. Best way to roll them.
Need I saw more, great you got me twitching now

Come on you can do better than that lol

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My customers would shoot me if left that many tools on the job
And I mean that latterly, most of my clients are police officers and state troopers :shutup:
I run a tight ship
I have one van, two utility trailers, two enclosed trailers
And 3 employee to move all the tools back to the truck and broom sweep at the end of each day

You wouldnt wanna move them after you see the steps to get down to the house lol. See below, about the same length and on a curve and steeper. Im only 30 and healty and it kills me.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,289 Posts
Post up some pics of your work area so i can figure if I'm OCD!
You obviously are, but that's a good thing. :thumbsup::laughing:

I don't have any projects like that going right now, but that's pretty much what my work area looks like at the end of the day. Like a good cook, I try to clean as I go. Smaller off-falls go straight into the bag, excessive litter gets swept out of the main traffic areas occasionally and so forth.

MY OCD makes me want to ask you to re-size your images to 640x480 before posting them here. That way, us old buzzards with lower resolution settings on our monitors don't have to scroll sideways to see the whole pic and all of the text in the messages.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Twitch, twitch, LOL
Well if want me to keep going here it goes
Those walls look yellow, looks finished to me??
I always use long loops, otherwise it curls up and we trip on them, and when working outside the cords have less chance of cracking
Never, I repeat never leave caulk in the gun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who left the case of caulk next to the light, no wonder its all dried up
Did someone leave a drill bit in that screw gun, and its facing the beadBoard, GRRR
Is that your mask yours or mine, great go get two more
Is that a roto zip bag or a zip wall bag under the horses?
Unplug the air compressor; remember what happen last time, homeowner called me at 2 in the morning telling my it wasn’t his alarm clock that woke him up, ouch that hurt
BC I’m going post a pic tomorrow so you can get even:whistling

·
Registered
917 Posts
is the blade guard on that miter saw osha approved? haha. Nice setup, and from the looks of it, great work too

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
is the blade guard on that miter saw osha approved? haha. Nice setup, and from the looks of it, great work too

I am telling you guys, I just keep my blade guards polished and clear so I can see through them...the photo just can't pick it....;)

I got two jobs I am about to leave for. This morn I have a dining room of crown to hang, easy and 4 minutes from my house. :)
Afternoon I have some melamine pull out shelfs to install in a pantry and also pull a cable for a flat screen (both things are to finish up a prior re-trim/remodel of a kitchen)
I will grab some photos for you guys...my set-up has changed...smaller saw, smaller air comp...fast easier set-up and go.

I can run both ways, I can be super clean but I can also be trying too hard to bust something out and get real messy.....

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
something I've noticed from all the pictures above (including my own setup) is lack of a bag for the miter saw. After all these years can't we get a miter saw that doesn't spew sawdust everywhere? Thank goodness for a high pressure air tank.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts